Is there a magnet in the lid of the 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle1320, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I noticed when I'm closing my 2011 13" MacBook Pro, when the lid is near the body, it seems to pull shut. Are there magnets in the lid and body that pull them together, or is it just a mechanism in the hinge?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

There are generally magnets in the lid. Not just to help the lid shut, but IIRC, it actually uses magnets for the sleep on lid close.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There is at least one magnet in the lid. I find it amusing to stick stuff on the display bezel when its open. I forget what I was doing when I stumbled upon it.

4. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

Ill have to try this. :p I used to stick magnets on my old phone's display to watch it turn on and off; I'm very easily amused.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try something safe and simple like a paper clip at first.

6. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

How does that work exactly?

And I'd try to keep magnets away from computers

7. kyle1320, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

I tried that, and it didn't seem to work so the next thing I could find was a wrench. I then figured out there are magnets in the corners (not in the middle.) I am currently typing with a wrench stuck on the top left corner of my macbook's screen. :D The screen seems to be getting brighter and darker though, I'm gonna take the wrench off incase it can do damage.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out the screen getting brighter and dimmer is because I am rocking back and forth in a rocking chair, and the light behind me is affecting the ambient light sensor as I rock. :p

8. SidBala macrumors 6502a

They use a hall effect sensor to detect the ambient magnetic field. From this, they can determine if a magnet is near or not. A magnet is attached to the lid.

So, now when the lid is closed, the display turns off to save power. But it doesn't know the difference between the lid magnet and any other magnet.

So you could turn it on and off with any magnet of similar strength. As simple as that.

EDIT: Were you really asking a question or was that just a reference to the "Magnets, how do they work?" meme?

9. dslrjunky macrumors regular

i want to try this where exactly is it on the lid..

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

the 15 has 4 individual areas with magnets

now go grab some paperclips and make a MBP statue...

11. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

After using the back end of a sewing needle to find the magnets on the lid, I believe there are 4 individual magnets on the top left side of the screen underneath the bezel and 4 individual magnets on the top right side of the screen underneath the bezel.

However, When I put something magnetic on them, nothing happens. :S

12. RockPortTech macrumors regular

As a general rule yes, BUT you'd need a very strong magnet to whack your hard drive. Honestly something bigger than you'd have about the house.