Is there a Photo App to correct for dark spots on iphone detector/lens

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Burstl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Burstl macrumors newbie

Burstl

Hey Guys,

Do you know any good app that automatically removes dark spots from iphone photos resulting from dust particles on the chip. This could easily be achieved if the images are "flatfielded" i.e. divided by a homogeneously flat monochromatic image that only shows the dust particles, a "dust map" if you will. I don't know if there is an app that allows you to do this correction automatically. I expect something like first taking a photo from a uniformly illuminated area to generate the dust map, which should be automatically saved by the app and afterwards all photos are automatically divided by this dust map to correct the images.

I hope this is not too confusing, I am an astronomer, and this is exactly what one does to correct for such effects in science...

Do you know if there exists such an app to correct for these image artefacts?

2. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

You aren't really correcting for dust as much as the hot pixels and inherent camera noise. These zones change as temperature of the sensor changes so setting a base line once and leaving it wouldn't work. I have yet to find an app that can do this on the fly. I am still looking for something that can control the exposure time and levels for the iPhone. Mostly just to play with. The iPhone is not the best tool for this job.

When shooting astrophotography I shoot 4 exposures and also shoot 4 "blacks" and then stack and align them using Deep Sky Stacker in a wineskin so it can run on a Mac. It removes all the hot spots and noise prior to post processing.

3. Burstl thread starter macrumors newbie

Burstl

I think you misunderstood. I dont use the iphone for astrophotography, i simply see dark spots on my fotos as do a lot of other people on their iPhone 5s and i want to correct for these dark spots. This could be achieved with a so called flatfield image i.e. a dust map image. This technique is used in astronomy. I think there should be an app to correct for dust artefacts on the lens or detector since apple quality control obviously gets worse and worse these days.

4. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Oh, I get ya now. There are a couple of apps I have seen like that but the reviews are very poor for them.

5. Burstl thread starter macrumors newbie

Burstl

Ok so which, i havent found any. Do you know the names of the apps.