Is there a physical reason that the original iPhone and iPod touch can't run 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bat Commander, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Bat Commander macrumors member

The original iPhone has the same RAM and processor speed as the iPhone 3G. Why the heck can't the original iPhone run the software if the iPhone 3G can?

It just must be Apple intentionally gimping the iPhone again. I would totally understand if the original iPhone was slower and had less RAM, but it's almost identical in hardware features.

I'm getting sick of all of Apple's artificial limitations.

2. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

AT&T and Apple do not want to support new tech on old hardware! in order to move forward you have to look at advancing technologies and make the software work on the most cutting edge hardware... plus iphone3G and 3GS uses 3G connectivity and it looks like the phone is becoming more and more reliant on an active network... edge just cant hang

3. hothitter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure they said the 3g and the 2g were the ones grouped together in the "can't run certain features" pool. The 3gs and w/e's incoming will be able to. I'm not sure sure why you're thinking the 2g cant run 4.0?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're a hardware company, so they want you to buy hardware. There are some physical limitations, including ram and cpu that do impact what it can or can't do. Either way, they're not about to develop an OS that can run on a 3 or 4 year old phone when they're in the business of selling new phones.

Don't like it, you are always free to buy a different phone. Generally speaking you'll run into the same situation, just on a different platform.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It's not artificial. It's how technology works. If you want 4.0 - upgrade your 3 year old phone already. Most people upgrade yearly. If you don't want to deal with all that, get a dumb phone.

Please - you first gen whiners need to stop already.:rolleyes:

6. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

You couldn't be more wrong. They absolutely said the only devices that will run 4.0 are: iPhone 3GS, 3rd Gen iPod touch, iPhone 3G and 2nd Gen iPod touch.

Prove me wrong.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would think begin able to have iAd, but not multitasking would mean it doesn't work.

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I think the fact st the original iPhone can't run on 3G Is a huge factor. Secondly, the phone is now more than 2 years old, meaning, out of any two year contracts. No phone company supports a phone for very long, let alone 2 years, the fact the originals iPhone got the 3.0 update was impressive to say the least. The original iPhone is old and if you sill use g, it is time to upgrade, period. Be happy Apple supported the phone for the time they did.

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Because they said the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2g will get 4.0 without multitasking. The original iPhone is not getting 4.0.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

[​IMG]

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It pretty much Apple's artificial limitation.

it is the same BS reason why original iPhone can not do MMS, or Video and the 3G can not do video.

12. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

The iPhone 3G is hardly cutting edge hardware. It's the same basic hardware as the original iPhone except for 3G and GPS (both which have nothing to do with the new features in 4.0).

The original iPhone has the same limitations as the iPhone 3G, including RAM and CPU. All the same.

That's exactly what they're trying to make you do. There's no physical reason that the original iPhone can't run 4.0 if the 3G can.

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You just proved him right LOL. Where does it say the original iphone on that?

14. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

I see:
    iPhone 3GS
    3rd Gen iPod touch
    iPhone 3G
    2nd Gen iPod touch

Where does it say that first gen iPhone and iPod touch get it too?

15. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

*Chances are all of us 3G and original owners will have subb'd pricing, since we didn't get it with the 3GS...

fingers crossed...

16. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

they are not gonna gimp the OS/features because a few people want to keep their 3G phones and not upgrade this summer. It doesn't work on old hardware is basically apple PR code for, you want the new stuff, you are buying new hardware. Give us money ... nom nom nom.

17. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Umm, didn't owners of the original iPhone always have subsidized pricing on the newer models, since they paid full price for their phone?
    *Granted they did not use their upgrade already for another line on their account.

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You own a 2G don't you?

It will be 5 years later and 2G owners will STILL be complaining that their phones can fun blah blah blah because the latest phone is "not that different" from theirs. Seriously?

The problem is, if Apple lets 2G owners install and run 4.0 - they will be complaining and whining that it's slow and battery performance is terrible and their phone locks up. Gee - I wonder why!

Move on. Go buy a Razr.

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I know. Lol. I totally read his reply wrong. I fixed it, but you managed to catch it :)

20. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Oooops sorry about that, I was too quick! :)

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you read how Apple describes iPhone updates in their SEC filings, they say something to the effect that they will only provide updates (with new features) for the useful life of the phone, which they define at 24 months.

The original iPhone came out in 2007 and got updates in 2008 and 2009. So I guess it's been the 24 months, and there are no more updates for it.

They also said the same thing about the AppleTV, so I'm curious to see how that works out, since it's been on the market for actually longer.

Here it is. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...yZXBvPXRlbmsmaXBhZ2U9NTk1NjYzOCZhdHRhY2g9T04=

22. hothitter macrumors newbie

From the sounds of it, we're both a *little* wrong. The 3g can definitely run 4.0 - u said it couldn't. However you were right, the 2g got shafted...sorry? I assume the 4.0 framework is GPS and location heavy - things the 2g cant do? Idk, it's apples call...we all knew getting in bed apple and the iphone meant we were at their mercy when it came to functionality.

23. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

Umm... the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G have the same processor and RAM. So if it runs slow... it's also going to run slow on the 3G so that's not a very good argument.

By the way... I have an iPhone 3G, but I like to do my testing on my original iPhone or original iPod touch... so I guess I'm not going to be able to do that.

Now I have to go out and buy a new iPhone to test my apps on? F that!

24. Pared macrumors 65816

Apple has always done this, including in their iPods.

Pay attention? Maybe 2 years from now 3GS owners won't be complaining about the fact they didn't get anything.

25. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Where in this thread did he say the 3G couldn't run 4.0?
    He asked, "why can't it?" As in, why won't Apple release 4.0 for the original iPhone. He was looking for an explanation, not saying that it can not.