Is there a place with a dummy web service to practice on? (More details in side).

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chrono1081, Jan 12, 2015.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to make a post request work and I have a feeling it has to do with our layers of security at work, but I want to make sure my code is correct by trying a post request to a dummy web service.

I know there are tutorial sites that you can do a get to, but I haven't found one that lets you do a post. Does anyone know of such a web service where I could practice on?

Also I'm new to web services and can't seem to find an Apple guide that covers them. If anyone knows which guide may cover web services please let me know. Thank you.

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

Amazon EC2?

3. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Which webservice is it that you are struggling to connect to?

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

It's an internal one we have at work. I'm trying to find a public web service somewhere that I can send a Post to to make sure my code works before further troubleshooting.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

A web service is just a program running on a server. Install tomcat to your local machine, then find a simple web service and put it on there to test. Then you're not using any 'network' to cause issues.

Here's an example 'Calculator' web service to try. Install this in a directory on your machine that tomcat can see.

http://geronimo.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/developing-a-simple-calculator-web-service.html

6. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks! I'll give this a try.