Is there a point of having an iPad Air 2 if you have iPhone 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheKevinFang, Jun 5, 2015.

1. TheKevinFang macrumors member

Thoughts? May use the iPad purely for media consumption and heavy gaming, but having an iPhone 6 Plus, kind of defeats this purpose?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If you feel that the 6 Plus screen size is large enough for you, then no. Otherwise, I'd say that it depends on what you're doing. I feel that the 6 Plus is still insufficiently small compared to my iPad mini; there's no way I'd trade my iPad Air 2 for the 6 Plus screen size. I do a lot of reading on my iPad, play some games, and watch movies. But that's just my opinion... if you have the 6 Plus and have never used a full-sized iPad for extended periods of time, it may be a case of "ignorance is bliss" and you're better off not tempting yourself and spending more money.

3. Donoghan, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015

Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

I had the 6 and the Mini 2. Decided to switch from the 6 to the 6 Plus. 6 Plus and Mini 2 were too close in size for my liking, so I sold the mini and now have the Air 2. The 6 Plus and the Air 2 are the perfect combo for me, as I still appreciate the two different screen sizes. I love my 6 Plus, and sure, you can get by with it and no iPad, but it certainly didn't replace my iPad usage to make me not want to have an iPad at all.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have both the 6+ and the iPad Air 2. I rarely use the iPad at all. Maybe once every 2-3 days. When I was in school, I used it for online textbooks. I really have no use for it. It may be time to sell it.

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Same here ! :)

6. lockerc18, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I have an iPad3, which I really liked until IOS8 came along. (I still like the device itself a lot. But Javacript in IOS8 on an iPad3 is truly terrible.) I got the 6+ because I wanted the larger screen size and better camera, and have been quite happy with both. Photos on the + are really incredible. But I had (naively) thought that the + would NOT default to mobile web page formats, and would use full site format instead. Oops. Yes, you can certainly get to the full site, but even with the screen size of the +, it's still too small for viewing full sites (IMO, anyway). So I use the iPad3 for reading, web browsing, light gaming, etc. Because it's IOS and not OSX, it's not a great input device (and the + is abysmal for inputting, too) so I use my rMBP for the times I do lots of inputting (like writing). For me, each device has its own niche. There's some overlap between them, sure. There's so much I like about the 6+, but I find that I still need an iPad for many things. YMMV. And, of course, there's no comparison between IOS devices and Macs for a lot of things. I can't imagine using MS Office on a +, though perhaps there's some instances where it would make sense on an iPad, at least Word. But, on a Mac? You betcha.

I got a chance to play around with an iPad Air 2 recently, and I have to say, compared to my iPad3, it's a whole different device. What a nice tablet. Wow. I love the form factor and weight. I'm hoping that the Air 3 is announced at WWDC. I can almost, but not quite, make the case for upgrading from my iPad3 to the Air 2. But I can REALLY make the case to upgrade to the Air 3.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

As much as I love my 6+ the screen size is way too small to do my Internet cruising. No way my phone would replace my iPad.

8. srshaw macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more with this. I have an ipad 3 and it now has a pretty poor user experience. I am fed up of 'there is a problem with this page it has been reloaded'. I have a 6+ but it is no ipad and the mobile websites are a pain. And any ios device is rubbish for lots of typing. I am going to give the next ipad a serious look.

9. SaveUsBatman macrumors member

SaveUsBatman

I use a 6+ and a iPad Air 2.

The 6+ is just great for everyday media consumption.

And I love my iPad when I'm home and in bed watching YouTube videos, or reading a book. Honestly though I am more of a fan of the iPad Mini size. I just wish Apple gave the Mini 3 2GB of RAM like the Air 2 for future proofing purposes.

10. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

It depends on what you use it for and how you use it. (On both the iPad and iPhone 6 or 6+) I think the 6 plus will be much more efficient then the iPad Air 2 for when I'm out and about. And whatever I do on it does sync across the iPad Air 2 at home. :)

I debated selling it, but I think if I did - I would soon regret it. Both ave their advantages and disadvantages. I think now my iPad Air 2 will just be a home device. :)

11. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I think if you use your iPad to watch movies and Tv shows, you wouldn't want to give it up to watch that on an iPhone. It's just a completely different experience.

12. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

Exactly why I decided against selling it. With the iPhone 6 plus don't think video watching would be appropriate for my use. With the iPad that's a different story as that my consumption device. I decided that was my consumption device as soon as I got it.

Glad I didn't go ahead and sell it.

13. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

I have a 6+ and I'm thinking about picking up the Mini 3 since they are $100 off at Best Buy. I think they will compliment each other well and def with media watching since I'm always on Youtube.

14. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I have both and I'm really glad I picked up an Air 2 to go along with my IP6+. I like the fact that I can put my phone down, take a break from it, and still continue doing what I was doing but on a larger screen.

There was a better deal about a week ago where Best Buy had the mini for $125 off. I would hold off, I'm sure they'll do it again.

15. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

I have both. Couldn't live without my Air 2

16. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

What do you find yourself mostly using the Air for? Trying to decide my use pattern with having a 6+ and a Macbook Pro.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I still much prefer my iPad Air to my 6 Plus for Netflix, typing emails and surfing on Safari.

Though I think the iPad would be made redundant if it were a mini or if I had a smaller laptop, maybe a rMB. As it is, my 15" cMBP, iPad and iPhone all get used lots for different things.

18. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Web, email, reddit, movies. I have a Mac Pro for serious gaming and productivity but I can get by with the Air with everything else. Especially now with iOS 9 which is just fantastic!

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I for one love my 6+ for taking around day to day. And before my rMB I would take my iPad Air when traveling. The one thing a that would make the 6+ better would be the ability to download from an SD card.

20. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I am in the same boat. My iPad 3 doesn't get the error message, but just in the last few months any Safari page takes much longer to load than it used to. Even still, it is still my main device. My 6+ is great when I'm not home. I LOVE the screen compared to my previous iPhones 4 and 5, but it's not big enough to spend hours on. Also definitely getting the Air 3 late this year.

21. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

I've been wondering the same thing. So far I haven't used my iPad for anything a 6+ couldn't do. But now that split screen multi tasking is out and an iCloud file director app? I think both will be relevant/necessary in my life.

22. Shanghaichica, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have a 6 plus, mini 3 and an Air 2 and I have different use cases for all of them. My 6 plus is my go to device. My mini 3 is my on the go tablet which I use on my daily commute, mainly for watching videos and reading some comics. My air 2 is my main computer at home. Although I've got a MacBook Air, the air 2 is the one I most often use at home.

The 6 plus is big but it's still only a phone. I've used big phones in the past (Note series) but I always used a mini and large tablet alongside it. Yes the iPad can't do anything that the 6 plus can't but if you go by that logic it doesn't do anything that an iPhone 4S or 5 doesn't do or an iPod touch. Everything is just a variation on a theme.

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have an Air 1 and an iPhone 6 Plus I used both regularly. When I am not using my rMBP, Air 1 will be used for everything.

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's subjective but for me most certainly. My wife has a 6+ and it's no where near big enough for me to be a tablet replacement. Gaming and couch net surfing just wouldn't be comfortable. I an iPad Mini is certainly doable but not 6+ size.

25. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I have both the iPhone 6 Plus and iPad 3 and iPad Air (1st gen). All are useful tools.

I prefer to watch my movies on my iPad Air.