Is there a point speculating what the iPhone 5 has for us?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Apr 30, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Has there ever been a rumour on here posted by MacRumors that ended up being real? Just curious.

And this is going to be my first iPhone, so I don't want to read all these posts to get my hopes up!

2. NewtonApple macrumors member

Well this is the way it is. No facts make for lots of rumors. Some will be true but no one will know till it is announced.

You are going to be hurting here, if you do not want to read this "stuff", as you have not seen anything yet. It is calm here in comparison to when it gets closer to introduction!

The place is called MacRumors, "news and Rumors you care about!":rolleyes:

3. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I know and my question is does the rumors ever end up being accurate? I've only started being a member here when the anticipation for the iPad 3 came. During that time, people were saying there's no point because people had big hopes for the iPhone 4S upgrade, and when it finally came, it was something very minor (not saying it wasn't successful). I wasn't here for the other generation anticipation threads, so I want to know if they are accurate or not. It will be fun to be in the rumors though, but I'm sure my heart will be broken :p

4. NewtonApple macrumors member

Well you got the right attitude.:)

Keep a smile and do not tkae any of "this" serioulsy. The forum is full of person with their own opinion and you will hear it all. Some will be nice and others will correct you on just your spelling!

Best to look at this as entertainment and enjoy the show!

Welcome:apple:

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

In the past, early rumors came true. For example the Mac App Store was a rumor that was very old. The original iPhone rumor that the iPhone was going to be very small wasn't true. It is 50/50.

6. matttye macrumors 601

You mean iPhone 6? The 4S is the fifth iPhone.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Attached Files:

8. matttye macrumors 601

Using memes when you can't come up with something intelligent to say is so cool!

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

You mean Apple named the 4S wrong? :eek:

10. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

1290449_o.gif

11. dirtclod macrumors member

The next iPhone is expected to solve the world's energy problems, end world hunger and create peace throughout the world. Unemployment is expected to drop to near zero and Democrats and Republicans will actually admit that each has some respectable ideas and promise to work together.

Actually, that last one is still not certain.

12. NewtonApple macrumors member

Sounds like the iObamaPhone!

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How big is the screen though?

14. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The speculation is a result of rampant anticipation.

I highly suggest you take any rumor with a grain of salt. The build up to last year's iPhone keynote was especially deflating. There was extremely strong talk of both an iPhone 4S and 5 and you know how that turned out.

Like many others I enjoy following the rumors on this main site and others however I don't feel strongly about a single one of them UNLESS multiple sources (and not some random analyst) start reporting the same rumor. Also the week leading up to the keynote can provide image leaks of parts.

Anyways, unless we get a miracle, you should not expect a new iPhone until this October and in the meantime you will be subjected to countless rumors on this site and others that are completely false. Just don't forget that.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Certainly - especially the more general ones - for example. You can almost guarantee the phone will have a better camera. Easy.

And either those who say the phone will be bigger, or those who say the phone will stay the same size will be correct.

Many of the rumors will be true.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Well I have a friend who works at Apple and one his engineer friends told him that the next iPhone will be called iPhone 5 if they stick to the same screen size, or it'll be called iPhone 6 if they go with a different size screen... I can't wait!!

:rolleyes:

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's the same as any other rumor site. Some do, some do not.

18. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Depends what you mean by 'a point'...

If you mean "does it influence anything?", then absolutely not, obviously. If you mean "is it fun?", then yes, it can be!

What I enjoy is the speculation, watching people violently disagree about things which they have no knowledge of, at all, and the logic that certain people use, often passionately, to justify their views on things as important as the naming standards of iDevices.

When you get stories that make sensible suggestions about something interesting or exciting that it might have, it's always a bit disappointing when it doesn't come true. But on the other hand, it's only a flippin' phone!

For me, the new iPhone might be bigger, but won't be smaller, will be quicker, will probably change form, won't have reception issues, will have 4g (for certain countries/networks), might have NFT built in, will probably be launched in the Autumn (boo!), on iOS6, which will be released into Beta during the WWDC in June.

And whatever, I'll get one, as I decided not to do the 4s upgrade and I want Siri.

Cheers, and enjoy!

Tiptopp

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Wrong! This is a flippin' phone:
    [​IMG]
    Smartphones, these days, are mini-computers and what they do and how we use them is light years beyond flippin' phones.

To the OPs point: No, there's no point in speculating this far ahead of a release, but what else have we got? Apple releases a new model only every two years, so it's mindless speculation or nothing. This is why there's so much talk (even on these forums) about the One X, Lumia 900 and GSIII.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Hmm I can't remember saying that... Let me just check and refresh my memory. OHHH that's right, I didn't say that.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G (supports 3G networks, not 3rd generation)
    iPhone 3GS (iPhone 3G, but faster)
    iPhone 4 (fourth generation iPhone)
    iPhone 4S (iPhone 4, but faster)

In what possible way would it make sense to call the next iPhone the iPhone 5?! It's not the fifth generation iPhone, it doesn't use 5G networks, it's not going to have a screen that is 5" big. There's NO REASON for it to be called the iPhone 5.

Logic. You guys should try it.

----------

A friend of a friend should never be trusted ;)

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't think there's a point, people will just get over-excited about potential features and then will likely be disappointed but buy the device anyways. I'd prefer to be surprised, but I'm aware of the possibilities. No one will know for sure though so these rumors and speculation is just to make people feel giddy.

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Pinning, for later, there will be much eating of crow.