Is there a possibility of a Skylake rMBP in October?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eokino, Apr 26, 2015.

1. eokino macrumors newbie

Is there a chance that there will be another rMBP update at the end of the year? Sometime in September/October? If so, would it only be the 15inch or with both screen sizes?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

There is a possibility of it.

Of course we have no idea if Intel will actually release the skylake chips needed then or not we don't know if apple will use braodwell if they release those beforehand.

I think that Intel will release the broadwell H and apple will use them in the 15 inch sometime in June or maybe before but this is just a personal opinion.

I think we will not see skylake rMBP until Q1 2016 myself (with all macbooks updated with the possible exception of the air which I see being phased out) but hey what do I know....

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think we'll only see one 15" MBP update this year. It will be either Broadwell based, or Skylake. Since the 13" MBP is already on Broadwell, That may lead credence to the 15" going that way as well.

Time will tell as we get closer to the release of the rMBP.

4. eokino thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem is I don't want to buy the 13' now and have a redesign of the rMBP at the end of the year. I heard that if it updates again at the end of the year then it will probably have skylake, which means it could possibly have a thinner design, and may also have the new keyboard. So I'm just debating on waiting to see if there is a possibility that it will update or just buy it now and regret later if it updates.

5. prism macrumors 6502a

And why would it have a thinner design if skylake uses the same 14nm process as broadwell?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you need one now

buy one now if you don't then wait

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

That only refers to the width of the pathways on the processor. If Skylake has a smaller TDP, then the cooling system and heatsink could be thinner, but probably not enough to result in a significantly different design for the rMBP lineup.

8. eokino thread starter macrumors newbie

so there's the possibility of having the same design? just different keyboard but same unibody case?

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

None of use pea-on's know. Only Apple does. We just make guesses unless we have a link to this. Which we don't..;)

10. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

No, I think we've pretty much got as small as we can get on a Pro unless they start removing ports. Because those take up more space than you'd think.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not only a possibility

but maybe a probable scenario. I think it's quite likely that it'll be canonlake before we get a redesign.

12. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I think it'll be a broadwell/nvidia upgrade this summer, and then a redesign next year with skylake.

13. charea macrumors newbie

Skylake-S has quadcores at 35W vs 47W in Haswell. So it is pretty much official: new TDP, DDR4 RAM, new ports, new logic board, new everything.

Otherwise, Core-M launched in November 2014 and it took Apple 5 months to design the new MB. So you should expect some delay I think.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Skylake does not use DDR4 RAM in mobile applications, AFAIR. The other thing is, that Skylake is not really a big energy saver, like the Core M processor family.

15. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I could see Apple adding the new keyboard and force pad to the updated models, possibly the same colors as the new 12" MBP as well. But there wouldn't be a major change to the form factor or size at this time.

16. mcarling macrumors 65816

I don't believe Apple will put desktop Skylake-S parts into a MBP. I think Apple will wait (probably until Q1 2016) for mobile Skylake-H parts. Before the end of 2015, before the peak holiday shoplifting season, I think we'll probably see a 15" Broadwell MBP.

Skylake-H will be mobile CPUs which use DDR4.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yes its possible, but no one here knows any facts, we are ALL just guessing and speculating, based on what we personally want. But reading between the lines I won't be surprised if Skylake mobile shows up this year, based on all the delays and trouble Intel have had with Broadwell.
    But again that is just a guess. Only Apple knows.

18. newellj macrumors 601

And will it have USB C ports? And the new keyboard? Lots of unknowns. :)

19. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The rMBP is already just thick enough for the thunderbolt and USB ports. Any thinner and its bye bye ports. The only thing I can see Apple doing is continuing to remove the "bulge" out of the bottom of the rMBP, like going from the late 2012 13 rMBP to the Late 2013 13 rMBP.

Also, note that Apple had to go a core M processor to build a notebook thinner than the current Air and rMBP. For high performance laptop, I think the rMBP will be around for awhile.

20. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Whatever happens it's practically a given that it will have the new force touchpad ... Maybe the butterfly keyboard too (but less chance of that.) The touchpad might be enough for some to wait (or to buy now depending on PoV.)

The thing that's personally most intriguing to me is if the next refresh (whatever it is) will have a 9xx nVidia dGPU option, or if they will go back to AMD, since they supposedly do 4K better than nVidia ... depending on who you talk to, that's been said as the reason why Apple went with AMD for the Retina iMac GPU.

... Or if they will ditch dGPU completely.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Agreed.

22. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Second agreed, and this will also mean they won't get rid of the DGPU option for the 15" model.

23. mcarling macrumors 65816

No. It doesn't mean that Apple will retain the discrete GPU. It not just about heat dissipation. Discrete GPUs are expensive and have proven to be a common cause of failure in MBP models which have them.

24. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I don't recall any big issues with the 750m cards? Or the AMD ones? The 330M in my machine was due to faulty GPU's that were made by Nvidia and had nothing to do with Apple.
    Apple have lots of 'known issues' with several of their devices and people don't want those those lose features or hardware.
    Also they are not expensive compared to Apple's markups. It is not the discrete GPU that makes Apple hardware expensive.

25. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I think if they were going to ditch the discrete GPU, we'd not be seeing the shipping times at 2-3 weeks. I doubt they'd do a CPU refresh and drop the discrete GPU and not update the lower end model of thev15" MBP. Since its shipping times are unaffected, I think they'll do a quiet refresh of both. If I was a betting man, I'd think supplies of the 750m are drying up.