Is there a problem with home buttons on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeeflyboy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Just curious if this is a common thing...

My home button is screwed now, I have to push really hard to get it to register a click, double clicks often take a few attempts to achieve.

My iPhone is out of warranty and looking at ifixit there's no way I can be bothered to do all that to change it, so I'll just upgrade to a 4S soon.

But I was doing an upgrade for my mum when I was there the other day and her home button can be very sticky and temperamental... Then I mentioned it to my sister and she said her home button was awful (though not sure exactly why, she just said it was driving her mad)... Then just yesterday my gf's home button started playing up, although I think that one might be software related rather than hardware. Will try restoring the phone soon.

All iPhone 4, all with dodgy home buttons...

Is it really that common or is it just bad luck?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Mines a bit dodgy, and I know peoples who's really do not work and have managed to get the sympathy vote from Apple geniuses, resulting in a free out of warranty replacement.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

A search will show that multiple iPhone 4 users have had this same problem.:apple:

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

My home button was the Same way, the stickiness. So I kept doing some research and someone brought up the idea of alcohol and a q tip, soaking the q tip a going around the home button with it. Pressing it in at the same time thus making it easier for the alcohol to clean out whatever was interfering with the button to make it feel sticky. I did it last night and it's good now!!

5. threezero macrumors 6502

Mine is like that and and conveniently it does not Mister behave when i take it to the apple store.
    found 3 solution
    hold power button until shut down notice appears and than press homebuton til it goes back to home page
    Flick the home button several time to dislodge dust
    turn on accesbility option in ios 5

Online he last one is consistant he other 2 solutions sometimes work sometimes doesn't. Apple please remove physical home button in he next iphone