is there a proper way to see portrait photos ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colonelbutt, Nov 15, 2007.

1. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

is there anyway of preventing auto-swivvel from portrait to landscape when looking at pictures ?

sometimes I take pictures vertically. Its impossible to see them full screen on the iphone without looking sideways while holding horizontally

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

have you tried changing the picture orientation in iphoto first before syncing to the iphone?

3. mrJnC macrumors regular

Hold the phone as if it were sitting on a table. The rotation sensor won't trip.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

5. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

good idea.
    but sitting on the sofa showing pictures to my mum needs a vertical screen unfortunately.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

Can you post an example pic so we can see what you mean? I'm having a hard time working out why you wouldn't look at a portrait photo with the iPhone vertical and a landscape photo with the iPhone horizontal.

7. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

think about it:

i take a normal landscape picture with my SLR.
    I put on iphone.
    looking at iphone portrait mode shows the picture with a black band at the top and the bottom.
    I turn the iphone 90 degrees and now I see the portrait picture in portrait mode, i.e. the iphone lying on its side.
    all a-ok !

now take this example.
    I take a picture with my slr holding the camera at 90 degrees to get a full body shot.
    I put on iphone
    looking at iphone in portrait mode shows the picture on its side with black bands above and below.
    when I turn the phone into portrait, the picture now fills up the whole screen, but it is still on its side.
    If i turn back to portrait to try and see properly i get black bands again.

- get it :)

8. memesmith macrumors regular

a

So there first suggestion is valid. Some cameras have an accelerometer on then that notes the orentation of the camera ask that photos are correctly displayed on digtal media. Others will require you rotate the photo in somehong like iphoto or adobe photo software first.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh, my head! :D

Mind you I have just taken a portrait photo… imported into my iPhone via iPhoto… when I view it in lanscape it has bars on the side. When I turn it to portrait it displays perfectly.

But then again I am not using an SLR… just a Canon Ixus 55… :eek:

10. alFR macrumors 68020

Not really - I just checked on mine now, and shots taken with my SLR display like this:

Portrait photo, iphone upright - photo right way up, fills whole screen.
    Landscape photo, iphone upright - photo right way up, black bars above and below.
    Portrait photo, iphone on its side - photo right way up, black bars left and right.
    Landscape photo, iphone on its side - photo right way up, fills whole screen.

I still don't see the problem....

11. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

the problem is real. my canon packs more detail into the photo then most other cameras.

the point is, as suggested above, the only way to do it is to process the portrait photos before syncing with the iphone. this is something I will not do, I want the iphone, like my HTC devices, to be able to take a picture straight out of the camera and show it properly.

the only way to do it for apple to create a 'hold rotate' function on the iphone.

12. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

thats because either you have re-orientated your photos into new jpgs on your imac/PC or have used a transfer program that does that automatically.

i just want to copy/sync. direct.

13. alFR macrumors 68020

Ah, I see. Yes, all my stuff is in iPhoto so it's rotated into the correct orientation for display there.

How (and why) are you going to copy stuff straight from your camera to the iPhone?

14. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

actually i just copied off the pics from my CF card onto my PC.
    then I used itunes to sync with the iphone.

listen, I love the auto-rotation thing and I love my iphone, I just want a 'hold rotation' feature.

i was hoping there was one I haven't found .....

15. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

You could edit the Exif orientation tag, read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif

there's some software links, let us know if any of them work for you.

16. apples2apples macrumors newbie

Solution!!!!

1) Get to the picture you want to see in portrait mode
    2) Rotate the phone WHILE HOLDING one finger onto the screen, wait for 1 seconds and just release.

That should lock that particular photo in portrait until you make another gesture, rotate the phone or bouble-tap the screen.

youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogyR2Sl3O_8

Definitely easier than going back to your PC to rotate each photo.

-A