Is there a service to recommend movies to watch

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doju, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Long story short my family and I watch a lot of movies, but we're always struggling to find new ones to watch. We normally just wait for the new releases and see the ratings, but that doesn't always deliver, especially if we saw them in theatres.

So, is there a service out there, that maybe you can input your favourite movies and it will recommend some based on that?

I know iTunes has the "People also bought…" but that's based off one movie, I want something more comprehensive.

A Plex plugin would be especially great. For the most part we're into those lighthearted, feel-good, sit-home-with-the-family-on-a-saturday-night movies. Nothing too much normally, but a satisfying, funny movie.

THANKS!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think Flixster.com does this kind of thing but I've not used it. I believe Netflix is supposed to be "the best" but you'd have to have an account.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll look into Flixster, thanks.

I've looked around a bit and Jinni seems like a great service too. I've got some things to consider!

Thanks, further recommendations are welcome. :)

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Netflix is great at recommending movies to watch, they've put a lot of time and money into creating an intelligent system for providing recommendations...but you have to have an account. I've rated about 900 movies on the site and it's accurate enough now that if the "Best guess for you" rating is 3.5/5 or better I'm almost guaranteed to like the movie.

5. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

But Netflix won't be in Canada until this fall. :(

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'll second Netflix. When it gets there this Fall, get an account. Their system is great and I have only had one bad experience with a movie they recommended for me.

I'm to the point where I will be dropping cable and just relying on Netflix and Hulu Plus (when I receive my invite).

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't dangle Hulu in front of him. :(

We are not "allowed" to see their content. :mad: