is there a slot for an internal hard drive on the 15" 2014/15's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Potatochobit, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Potatochobit macrumors regular

there is no optical drive
    and the SSD is PCIe based?
    and it is also soldered on to the board so it is not replaceable?

now, is there actually a space to add a 2.5" hard drive inside?
    or was this a sacrifice made to keep them thin?

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Nope. The Retina MacBook Pro was built from the ground up to run purely on Flash storage. The SSD is technically replaceable, but it uses a proprietary connector which means any replacements you find be pulled from other MacBooks and will be very costly.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

There hasn't been a place for a 2.5" in any Mac laptop made since 2012.

4. Potatochobit thread starter macrumors regular

really?
    I owned the original unibody in 2008/9?
    and I am typing on a 2011 right now, lol
    I must be a vintage user

I have a late 2014 incoming and wondering how to increase my storage options
    I think I will go JBOD over usb 3.0

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

There are some 3rd party adapters that allow you to store a microSD card "semi-permanently" in your SD card slot, and use it to increase your onboard storage. They are intended to fit so that they are flush with the outside edge of the MBP. Their speed isn't the greatest, but if you have a large iTunes library or image library, it may be a way to free up SSD space. Some backup solutions don't see an SD card though, so proceed with caution.

6. honam1021 macrumors regular

The original 13' rMBP was actually designed to fit a 2.5' drive. Apparently Apple originally wanted to ship the 13 inch retina with a mechanical hard drive before they changed their mind in last minute by reusing the ssd from the 15 inch model and fill the remaining space with a plastic spacer
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2012+Teardown/11225

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, starting with the 2012 retina MBP, there's no bays or room for a drive. Apple starting using a propriety SSD setup and there's no optical drive. Basically the current line of MBPs are sealed and there's nothing upgradeable.