Is there a steel frame for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob808, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bob808 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody.
    I have an iPhone 4 and I was thinking of getting the iPhone 5 before it gets pulled off the market with the launch of 5C/5S. So I begun to check out the ones that my friends have, just to make an idea of the feel and all. I want to get a new one.
    So then I noticed something that led me to a sad conclusion.
    iPhone 4/4s has a steel frame while 5/5s has an aluminium one. Now this should be good news as aluminium is lighter than steel but the sad truth is that aluminium is way softer than steel. All of my friend's iPhone 5's are scratched/dinged on the frame, and it looks even worse on the black version of iPhone 5. That frame is so soft that one iPhone 5 that I checked out was bent in the middle! If you put it on a flat surface you could squeeze a quarter between the phone and table. The owner said that it was too long for his pocket and the pressure made it that way. This is crazy! For such a premium product to bend and scratch like chinese knock-offs... I'm really disappointed by this and it made me to reconsider the purchase. 5C is plastic and 5S isn't worth it in my opinion. I prefer to wait for the 6 but I could have use the performance bump in the 5. Also no glass on the back. I really enjoy the 4 for everyday use and I consider the 4S to be the last nice apple phone. I'm talking about feeling and quality and durability. My 4 looks almost new and I've been using it since it first came out. I also dropped it once on some metal stairs and I got lucky as it fell right on the side on the frame, only a very small ding on the steel. I can barely see it if I look closely.
    There would be one more thing I would try just to get the faster iPhone 5. I would consider getting a new iPhone 5 and replacing the whole aluminium frame with a steel one. Is there such thing? I mean these apple products look so good, it's a shame to bust an iPhone 5's looks in a few months of use. I saw 3 iPhone 5s and they were all in the same condition, apart from the 4th that was kept in a case. Sure, I don't mind a few scratches on the back glass of my 4 but the scratched frames look awful, especially the black ones as it reveals the grey metal under the anodization. I did a quick search on google but I could only find steel cases for the 5, no steel frame to replace the crappy one that it comes with.

2. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Use a case, or suffer the consequences. iPhone 4S would get massive cracks if dropped, so no difference.

3. bob808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not talking about dropping phones. My friends did not drop their phones, 5's just look crappy from normal use. Imagine if you put your phone in your pocket with some keys/coins. 4 and 4s suffer less, if at all (I'm talking strictly for the frame, not glass).

4. curiosity macrumors regular

I hope the iPhone 6 gets a stainless steel body.

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

there is no steel frame if you look at the ifixit teardown
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525/1

but regarding the bent iphone, you could only prevent it by using common sense. since it is known that the aluminium is much softer, I rarely put it in my pocket and always hold my phone. I use bumper case to prevent dings and scratches.

I know it is not convenient and the phone should be able to cope with everyday use, but the speed i'm getting from upgrading from my iphone 4, I would say it is worth it.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day. It came perfect out of the box. It's not scuffed, it's not scratched and it most certainly is NOT bent.

It goes in one pocket when I am out. I do not sit on it, there is nothing else in that pocket. I do not put my iPhone 5 down on rough surfaces. I do not slide it around. I do not place it on it's front. It's either placed in a business card holder I have at work or at home (at night) or it sits on the couch next to me.

Other than two minor dings because I was stupid and dropped it on concrete the only wear it shows is a few nicks and some silvering along one chamfered edge (where it sits on in the business card holder at work all day).

As has been mentioned earlier, taking some appropriate care goes a long way to avoiding the problems you mention.

P.S. I have no case on my iPhone 5. I just try to handle it carefully.