Is there a usb-c to usb 2.0/3.0 and 4k@60Hz adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbenji, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mbenji macrumors member

mbenji

Hi,

I need an adapter, something like Apple's own usb-c digital AV adapter BUT that will also support 4k@60hz.
    If the adapter will also support charging it will be very-very nice, but I don't have my hopes up.

Because of the $200 price and the fact that it won't charge, I do not consider CalDigit as an option.

2. mbenji thread starter macrumors member

mbenji

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The CalDigit USB-C dock does charge at up to 60W, and combined with their special 4K @ 60Hz firmware, is the only solution I can find.

[4K at 60Hz uses significant bandwidth. Combined with USB 3, it exceeds the total bandwidth availability in USB-C. This is why there are no 4K, 60Hz adapters on the market that include a USB 3 port. Instead, most manufacturers opt for 4K at 30Hz, leaving enough bandwidth for a USB 3 (and other) ports. Apple does this in their USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter, for instance. However, there is enough bandwidth for 4K at 60Hz and USB 2. Most manufacturers just don't choose that option, though CalDigit allows it to be enabled via firmware available on request.]

4. mbenji thread starter macrumors member

mbenji

Thanks @Brookzy, I guess I overlooked this option since it lacks 87W (and I am trying to preserve the battery on the MBPTB15), are there any other options with USB2.0 and 4k60Hz?

5. killawat macrumors 65816

This says it will do HDMI 2.0 for 4k@60Hz. And it has a USB 2.0 port. I use mostly accell items and expect that it would work as advertised, not cheap though.

https://www.accellcables.com/collec...th-hdmi-2-0-usb-a-2-0-and-usb-c-charging-port

• HDMI 2.0 compliant: Up to 18Gbps of bandwidth for resolutions up to 4096x2160@60Hz
    • USB 2.0 compliant port enables data transfer speeds up to 480Mbps
    • USB-A 2.0 port provides up to 0.5A of charging output from the source device
    • USB-C charging port provides up to 20V@3A of charging input to the source device

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

You must be really smashing your MacBook to be using more than 60W for an extended period!

7. mbenji thread starter macrumors member

mbenji

@Brookzy you are right but this device drops power quickly when other peripherals are connected, when the usb-c port is connected it seems that the power drops automatically to 36W

8. mbenji thread starter macrumors member

mbenji

Thanks guys, any solution other than the Accell and CalDigit?