Is there a utility that can disable the bottom right corner of the trackpad completely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marconelly, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Other than the clicky keyboard noise on some keys when the machine gets hot, the fact that the trackpad doesn't do 100% palm rejection when my hand is resting slightly on the bottom/right corner of it, is another thing that annoys me about the new MBP. I'd really like to be able to just flat out disable that portion of the trackpad. No fancy palm rejection needed, I just want any touches/presses there to be completely ignored as if that portion of the trackpad doesn't exist. Is something like this available now? BTT doesn't seem to be able to do it, sadly.

2. sojers92 macrumors newbie

me too!
    Hope they do some software to disable part of the trackpad or to let me resize the working part of it. Palm rejection is awful, and every time I'm writing, the cursor on the text just moves around and takes me ages to write a document -_-

Never had such bad experience with my 2012 macbook!

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not trying to be snarky or rude but I simply don't understand how people having problems with palm rejection on a laptop, any laptop, are typing? I've never had that problem, ever.

4. sojers92 macrumors newbie

Well probably because is the first laptop (at least that I ever had) with such massive trackpad. Yeah, I never had that problem because my wrists were resting on the chassis of the laptop and not on the trackpad. But now, since I'm not willing to have a bad posture for my wrists, they are inevitably resting on the trackpad, and the rejection is awful.

5. Dezmond macrumors member

Yeah the only downside of the big trackpad is you always rest your palm on it. Hope they can fix this in a software update.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen reviewers complain about the lack of better palm rejection, that's disappointing, if you're going to make a ginormous trackpad, I think it you need to be sure you have a top notch palm rejection process.

7. sojers92 macrumors newbie

I wonder if buying a skin for the 2015 (which should cover part of the trackpad) might work...

8. chabig macrumors 68040

If your wrists are resting on anything, you have bad typing posture.
    [​IMG]

9. sojers92, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

sojers92 macrumors newbie

sure, unfortunately on a laptop the keys are on the same level of the wrists-rest so there is no angle (and with shallow keys even more) (i'm referring to the third picture). Do you know about wrist rests for keyboards? they exists so you don't hang your wrists in mid air (like the first picture) while giving you the right angle of typing (again first picture). On a laptop the front part (where the trackpad is), is like a wrist-rest for a desktop keyboard.

This is what i'm talking about: http://imgur.com/tIxGHwc
    And again: http://www.ergonomics.co.uk/res/c2ag_220x220_3_felgeladjwristrest1.jpg

Do you see where the wrist rest goes? yeah pretty much same position of the trackpad on a new macbook pro :)

I have been a huge fan of the Macbook pro 2012, never had problems, never complained. So I thought I would have had the same experience on the new machine, but I'm not afraid of complaining about a very poor design.

10. chabig, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

chabig macrumors 68040

I looked for a picture with a notebook keyboard instead of the desktop, but I couldn't find one. Still, your wrists should be dangling in mid-air, not resting on anything. I probably sound smug for saying that, but as an older guy who has had some carpal tunnel problems, it's correct advise.

11. Marconelly thread starter macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I wrote to the author of BTT, asking how difficult would it be to implement something like this. Hope he replies All the different palm rejection modes he has in BTT also don't seem to solve this problem, unfortunatelly.

I've never had a problem with 2012 MBPR. Also, I don't have a problem one the new one while typing either. I do have a problem while using the trackpad. After I finish typing and move my hand to an optimal position for a trackpad use, small portion of my palm always seems to be touch the very bottom/right corner of the trackpad. A lot of the time this causes problems, especially with an action where I for example want to drag an icon from one place to another, or anything where I need to click and move. Technically, I just need to move my hand more to the right, and the problem is gone, but the muscle memory is a hell of a thing - and it's especially annoying when you realize you need to reposition your hand in the middle of the action you're trying to perform.

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There have been some reports that the latest macOS update improves the palm rejection. I just can't remember if they were referring to the latest dev beta (10.12.3), or the latest official release (10.12.2.)

13. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'm running the latest beta on a 15", and I can type 100+ WPM with all fingers resting on keys, and about half of each hand resting on the trackpad. I get no mistyping.

15. jerryk macrumors 68040

Your reading the pictures incorrect. The pictures are trying to show wrist bend. When you have the "Perfect" wrist position on the flat macbook keys with limited travel your palms are going to end up touching that huge trackpad from time to time.

16. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

FINALLY! I've been saying that for years, but people always say I type weird because my wrists rarely rest on anything.

17. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I have no issues, and most have no issues. Just because you read of a few having issues here doesn't mean it's widespread. You need to buy and experience the machine before you cast judgement.