Is there a wasy to download off Rapidshare if the site is blocked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dfnj123, Oct 20, 2007.

1. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

My boarding school blocks rapidshare. I've been trying to figure out how to dl off it and I can't find anything.

Anyone know how?

(btw, proxies don't work)

2. Tim117 macrumors regular

3. dfnj123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to download music videos which are not on the iTunes music store :p

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I'm pretty sure if they blocked the site, you can't get anything from it.

5. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Set up VNC on some remote computer not behind your work place firewall, then VNC into that computer and surf from that machine (like your home machine).

6. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

There's a nice idea. Good thinkin:)

7. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

LOL thanks. I'm one of the admins at our company and we implement some restrictions and security. Instead of relaxing the security for some power users, we (the sysadmins) will just surf from our home machines through VNC while keeping the rest of the netowrk locked tight.

8. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

Lol thats pretty good man. I can imagine someone walking in and all of you clicking down some crazy youtube video. Just gotta make sure no one figures how to do it.

9. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Gotta love multi desktops :) Desktop 1 is the one with all my work stuff and the secret keystroke brings desktop 2 in place with my VNC stuff as well as Messenger and such. Just make sure I always put it back to desktop 1 and implement a very short time period wiht a locking screensaver when I'm away from the desk.

not that I ever slack or anything :)

10. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

thats cool, i never thought of that i think i am going to start doing this at well but for messenger apps while im at college.

11. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

whatever you guys decide, make sure 100% to end your session when you leave the computer - dont forget or else the next person who sits at the computer might see your VNC session open and play around with your machine. Games like "how many files can I delete in a short period of time" or "hunt for the purchase orders containing credit card info" or "upload sexy pics of your GF to youtube"

:) You get the idea. Anyway this applies only to a lab or school type environment. At work, you probably have your own computer which is dedicated to you so its not that big a deal.

12. Musicrocka macrumors newbie

hey guys if your using VNC who does the downloads go to

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think they go to the home computers downloads but you can then access the files and place them on your computers but if they are large files this may take a long time!

14. admiraldennis macrumors regular

An SSH tunnel would be a much, much better solution than VNC.

Google for more information.