OS X Is there a way for me to play Final Fantasy 7 (and maybe X) on a late 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by BackTwoMac, Aug 28, 2013.

1. BackTwoMac macrumors member

I would love to do this in native OSX. I have the 2.54 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB ram.

All helpful comments are appreciated.

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

FF VII is available for PC as you know but the only feedback from AppDB for setting it up with Wine is old and it seems the version from Square Enix uses Securom which may be a problem with Wine. It is now on Steam as well but I saw no results posted there regarding the relatively new Steam release (for Windows).

So, my guess is you're looking at needing to run it via bootcamp unfortunately or else via a Windows virtual machine with Parallels which "probably" works but I could not promise that without having tried it personally.

As for FF X, there is no Windows or Mac version of that. You'll need either a PS2 or maybe it was released as downloadable for PS3? I don't know as I don't own a PS3. Actually, didn't they do a FF X remake for PS3? I thought I recalled seeing that somewhere. Of course, that's useless if you don't have one.

Sorry the news is not very good there but that's the scoop.

3. BackTwoMac thread starter macrumors member

Sad faces all around. Thanks for the response. I could have sworn I"d seen people talking about playing it, but I've never seen anyone say how to do it. IDK if I can mention emulators but that's probably what people use for X. I know there are plans to rerelease X-2...and I'll probably get a PS4.

Are ANY FF titles playable on my system?

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When I can actually log into a server :rolleyes: on my hardware, an early 2011 MBP with i7 and 1 GB VRAM, I'm getting 25-45 FPS. It sounds like you have the i5 version with probably 512 VRAM. My guess is that your performance under Bootcamp will be less than mine.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The only 2011 MBPs with an i5 CPU were the 13-inch models, so that means Intel HD3000 graphics. Thus, performance will be significantly worse than on models with a discreet GPU.

6. BackTwoMac, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

BackTwoMac thread starter macrumors member

I was able to run this game on an Acer netbook a couple years ago. Don't remember the exact details. And the quality was good enough for me. This is why I find it hard to believe that I can't achieve similar results on a Macbook. You guys probably are more informed than I am though (which is why i'm here).

Hmm, but then again, that was a Windows 7 machine. Never mind.

7. GluedOnBeard macrumors newbie

This is possible, it is a port of the PCSX. I think if you google PCSX reloaded it should be at pcsxr.codeplex or something similar.

I don't think it has upscaling like the PC versions have but it should still do the job nicely I think.

X is a different matter, Zedron works on PCSX2 mac at:

http://pcsx2mac.net

But it has not had an update in a very long time. It does get in game and run however.

I highly doubt your system is strong enough for FFX at a decent FPS.

8. GluedOnBeard macrumors newbie

Just read this post the re-release is both X and X2 in HD on the PS3 and the slated release date was December.