Is there a way for my Sierra drive and see the Mojave?

machenryr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I upgraded to Mojave on a 5,1 MacPro. Yay for me. I'm trying to let go of my Sierra boot drive, but I can't just yet, not until I transfer everything and work out the kinks. Somethings I won't be able to, so I had been planning to keep the Sierra on an external boot. All of my drive bays and the optical bay is replaced with SSD. The Mojave Boot is on a PCIe SSD. But I have put the Sierra HD back in bay one so it can boot. It won't boot on an external enclosure.

BUT Sierra doesn't recognize the Mojave drive. Is there a way to do this? Is there an app for that? I have to boot to a High Sierra drive and THEN the Mojave SSD can be seen. Going from Mojave to the Sierra drive is easy. Going from Sierra back to Mojave is a two-step process.

LuisN

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I upgraded to Mojave on a 5,1 MacPro. Yay for me. I'm trying to let go of my Sierra boot drive, but I can't just yet, not until I transfer everything and work out the kinks. Somethings I won't be able to, so I had been planning to keep the Sierra on an external boot. All of my drive bays and the optical bay is replaced with SSD. The Mojave Boot is on a PCIe SSD. But I have put the Sierra HD back in bay one so it can boot. It won't boot on an external enclosure.

BUT Sierra doesn't recognize the Mojave drive. Is there a way to do this? Is there an app for that? I have to boot to a High Sierra drive and THEN the Mojave SSD can be seen. Going from Mojave to the Sierra drive is easy. Going from Sierra back to Mojave is a two-step process.
Sierra does't read Mojave but Mojave reads Sierra.
Boot from Mojave and use migration assistant. Select only what you want to transfer to Mojave.

Reactions: mikzn

machenryr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Sierra does't read Mojave but Mojave reads Sierra.
Boot from Mojave and use migration assistant. Select only what you want to transfer to Mojave.
Thank you. I understand that. I want to know if there's a way to boot or see Mojave from Sierra. It's a two-step process that's kind of a waste of time.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
It's probably because Mojave is on APFS and Sierra is the old file system format HFS+

easiest thing to do is what LuisN recommended - use migration assistant - but you might have to upgrade some software to owrk properly on Mojave / APFS

machenryr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I have this installed but have yet to try it with an APFS drive. It is no longer supported.
https://www.paragon-software.com/us/business/apfs-kit-mac/
It's probably because Mojave is on APFS and Sierra is the old file system format HFS+

easiest thing to do is what LuisN recommended - use migration assistant - but you might have to upgrade some software to owrk properly on Mojave / APFS
I've already migrated most of my apps and docs. I'm splitting docs/movies/music into various other disks. I need to use this as a boot drive for other purposes. I'm not concerned with migrating data to the new SSD. I've done clean installs anyway. No, I need to be able to go from Sierra to Mojave.

I hope someone else has done an APFS Retrokit kind of thing.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
you could upgrade the other drive to Mojave and they would both be on APFS - do you have any software that won't work on Mojave / APFS ?

machenryr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
you could upgrade the other drive to Mojave and they would both be on APFS - do you have any software that won't work on Mojave / APFS ?
Funny, but I hadn't considered that. In large part because I wanted a fallback. So far it's been important. Certain programs like FCP couldn't be fully upgraded to the Mojave version, I was able to find and rectify on the APFS drive. Saved the day.