Is there a way of accessing private networks on the Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dinnskee, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Dinnskee macrumors newbie

I am currently a student attending university and I am trying to set up access to my university's wifi on my ipod touch but i cant pick up the network b/c its a private one. so im wondering how can u go about setting up access to a private network on the ipod touch if it is possible?

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

ah, maybe private means something different where you live, but here it means "we do not want you on our wifi!".

contact the school I.T. department and ask them.

3. TheDPR macrumors member

At our university you have to register with the Computer Networking department and when approved you can log on to their private network using your university ID/password.

It's probably the same where you are. Ask them.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Other... > type it in.

5. Dinnskee thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the vagueness well i did go to the it center and they told me they havent figured out yet how to connect the i touch to the network they use a wireless installer to configure ur wireless to pick up their network and so i dont think there is a solution unless theres a way of using such a program on the itouch, but ya i was quite confused before but if anyone has any of way figuring that out plz by all means tell me

6. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

don't you just need the SSID and password?

hey, just ask your IT department for those two things. you might need to leave your MAC address with them...i know i had to at my school.