Is there a way of installng Open Source Apps w/o Fink or MacPorts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightsky, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nightsky macrumors member

New to mac, need graphic software and can't buy it, so is there a way to install open source graphic apps, without installing Fink or mac ports? Can you compile and install just using Xtools are there simple howto s? I am googling and searching trying to wrap my head around all the new jargon and concepts. Any recommendations and pointers appreciated. Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to avoid Fink and Mac Ports, then you most certainly can. As shipped, every Mac is also a vanilla UNIX machine with a commandline interface at your disposal. You are most certainly welcome to use it this way. Most people find CLI UNIX difficult. Fink and MacPorts are intended make installing UNIX software easier. Both are free. I have no idea why you would avoid them.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I don't even know what Fink and MacPorts are. Do you mind installing X11?

Install X11 and then go download GIMP or GIMPShop. Seashore is completely native and free (and based on GIMP) but not quite as powerful yet.

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The small effort in learning the terminal shell in particular, and the UNIX aspect of Mac OS X in general, will in quick time pay off hugely in time-saved and power leveraged.

If you can't use Fink/MacPorts or just don't want to, suit yourself. I wouldn't even bother with Xcode. For many packages, it's far faster and less overhead just to download a source tar ball of whatever package you want and go through the compilation process (instructions usually provided in a README file) in the terminal.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I imagine you need xcode to compile anything from source?

Fink is extremely outdated

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Says who?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

says everybody,

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

:rolleyes:

9. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you all answered my questions,to answer yours

X11 and Xtools are all updated and ready to go as needed.

Thanks MisterMe for confirming the standard installation of Vanilla Unix on Mac. What is the difference between a Console and Terminal? I have been exploring mac file structure and wondering about its conventions for commands, man pages, since it is a propritery OS and machine.

Under Installer there is: Packages with .pkg and .mpkg extensions are these all the libraries and processes automatically called by Mac Installer and are ready to be used from command line?

As, yeroen pointed out I can compile from mac's unix system, given that neither fink nor macport would be neccessary unless there are configuring issues i don't have the skill level to input in which I can always post mac forums.

I don't want to compile but if I have to, why add another abstract layer onto the compile process that ups error risks.

I'd rather not install anything I don't have to. If using Fink or MacPort were the only way to create an installable app pkg then I'll have to learn how and what each program compiles which is what I don't want to do at this time, learn yet another major technical process.

Mac is a stable clean machine I don't want to muck it up or alter it in anyway that is not an improvement.

kuwisdelu, I'm not sure either what Fink and Mac Port are, in the broadest sense I think they are each a program used to restructure 'Open Source' code to create cross platform packages that is install on different Operating, they may also redistribute ready to install packages for different operating systems but I think you have to use there "Installer"?

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

i guess "sudo port install *filename*" is kinda troubling...

11. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Can I do this to unpack ghostscript.tar?

Can I unpack ghost.tar archive like this:

Code:
    UserName$cd /username/downloads/
    UserName$tar xvf gpl-ghostscript-857B.tar

Instead of downloading "Unarchiver" applet?

Thanks

12. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The cool thing about Fink and MacPorts is that everything is contained in the /sw and /opt/local directory paths, respectively. Want to completely purge your system of Fink and MacPorts installations? Remove those directory trees and you're done.

Unlike Windows with it's global registry database and whatnot, degunking Mac OS X is far simpler.

13. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

SribusAqua 1.3.3.10 Build Installed Poorly

yeroen, can you help me ScribusAqua Build installed poorly. How do I un-install and compile
    Scribus for my machine, OS X 10.4.11. I am determined to install a working version of scribus or should I install Neo Office till a better ver of Scribus for mac comes out :( ??? How Do I cleanup Sribus Aqua install? Which of the port systems are you using? Mac Port or Fink?

Found this interesting but don't follow alot of referrences: http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Subversion
    What do u think?
    ******************http://ianheath653.wordpress.com/ ********** Must read before installing
    Scribus Aqua ver 1.3.3.10

Should I be posting in program forum instead of application??? Thanks