Is there a way of not saving your whole gmail inbox locally?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macpokerstars, Sep 28, 2013.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to be able to view my gmail mailbox on a local application such as Mail.app but I'm annoyed by the fact that Mail.app automatically saves my entire gmail mail box locally (that's about 10 Gb).

Is there a way of configuring Mail.app so that it doesn't save my entire mailbox on my hard drive?

Is there some kind of Gmail Push notification app for Mac?

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you set it up as IMAP in Mail you should get push email and a popup from the built in Notifications.

The only way I can think of to limit what is stored is to go to settings at gmail.com and in the IMAP settings tab change the setting below.

[​IMG]

Also, go into the labels tab and uncheck the All Mail folder so that is not stored in Mail app. It is a duplicate of all the other folders and not needed in Mail.

3. Alrescha, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

Alrescha macrumors 68020

You might check out Mail Preferences, Advanced:

Attached Files:

4. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Hi there,
    Thanks for your response.

So if I limit the number of email in the IMAP settings, would this change anything in my real Gmail inbox? In other words, will this delete anything more than, say 1000 emails in my real Gmail archives?

Thanks a lot

5. badams002 macrumors member

No. It will remove All Mail folder but not your inbox.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, it will have no effect on your gmail.com archives, only what happens in Mail app.