Is there a way to completely reset a Hacked iPhone back to its original state?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 23, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I know the answer is to search the forums and google.. but I did.
    I can't seem to get a straight answer.

If you get an iPhone, and hack it with Indepedence and Jailbreak (not to unlock it for service... just to activate it as a super ipod and add apps)....

If I screw things up royally, or Apple updates the firmware freezing my iPhone, is there a way to reset everything back to the way it was the day it was purchased?

I get the feeling the answer is no, based on my searching, but I thought an expert here would know best.

Thanks!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I believe what you are looking for is the RESTORE option in iTunes...

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yes, all you have to do is restore it from iTunes.

4. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Hey thanks guys..
    So it sounds like there has never ever ever been an iPhone that became non-functional after attempting some sort of hack?

5. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

NOOOO, if you brick your phone, itunes will NOT recognize it and you will NOT be able to restore it.... If you DONT know that your doing, DO NOT hack you phone...

6. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

See.. this is what I mean re: conflicting reports of being unable to restore the iPhone.

Let me ask it a different way. Is it hard to brick your phone if you are using something like Independence to activate?

7. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Just restored my phone to wipe it all out and after the restore and install of backup I did not have all my email accounts restored. Is there any way to get all that back w/o a manual entry of each acct?

8. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

Nope. Always sync to backup, restore, update, then re-hack. That will keep you out of trouble.

That is one of my major complaints about the sync process...it doesn't backup all your settings like mail accounts, networks, etc. I don't know why Apple hasn't added that functionality yet.

C'mon Apple...this is a world class product. This should be easy.

9. one1 macrumors 65816

I don't know what you have to do to brick it, but I had the phone slide across the laptop and unplug itself right in the middle of jailbreak which of course screwed everything up royally. I just plugged it back in and restored it and it came right back up.

You can download the entire OS of the iPhone onto your HD also from the Itunes store, the link is in this forum. While this gives you the ability to have the OS at your disposal, I don't know if you would be able to use iBrickr to send everything back onto the phone properly and bypass the iTunes store. That would all depend on whether or not iBrickr will recognize a bricked iPhone. It will recognize an unactivated iPhone, but a bricked one...... dunno. We need this info.

(if anyone has a bricked iPhone and iBrickr please let us know because that would allow people with bricked phones to simply upload the OS back onto the phone and keep going!)