Is there a way to download Mavericks *in full* to use for fresh OSX/drive wipe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Sep 26, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Hello. I was wondering if there is a way to download Mavericks *in full* to use for fresh OSX/drive wipe?

I'm messing around with a few configurations with my Dual SSD's and was interested in trying out a RAID configuration.. The only annoying part about being wishy-washy about how I want my MacBook Pro setup, is that I have to constantly wait for the 2 hour *DOWNLOAD* to complete, and then install for another 45 minutes after that..

It's super redundant to have to re-download OSX every time.. Is there any way to download this portion of the re-format in it's entirety before hand? I've already tried the OSX Recovery Assistant on an external USB drive, but that doesn't really help me, since that will also initiate the long download.. Thoughts?

2. Nermal, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Download the installer from the App Store. Inside the bundle you'll find a command-line tool called createinstallmedia that can be used to create an offline USB installer.

If your USB drive is called Untitled then this command should work:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet! You the man!