Is there a way to find a keyboard replacement part number from the model number?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jebus197, May 17, 2009.

1. jebus197 macrumors newbie

Hi I need to replace the keyboard on my Macbook Pro due to a broken (9) key. Is there a way to find a keyboard replacement part number from the model number? The model number is A1226. I bought this item from eBay, but obviously it's out of warranty now - and the guy who I have who says he can replace the keyboard will only do it if I give him a part number, or if I buy the keyboard myself first.

If I gave him the Macbook and waited for him to take it apart, it would mean being without my computer for a week - and I just can't afford to do that. It might only take a day or two if he can have the keyboard in hand first though.

It's also a UK branded keyboard if this is any help...

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

just take it to the genius bar. i have seen Apple geniuses replace a broken key in the past even if the computer is out of warranty since they usually have spares in the backroom.

No harm trying your luck.

3. jebus197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in quite a small remote town in the UK, so I doubt there's anything like that near me. I'm just using a small local repair guy. The keyboard could do with replacing, as some of the other keys are a bit heavy and unresponsive too.