Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
Just wondering if there is some way to get more data.. like when it was originally built etc? I noticed that some others have info about their screen models etc. Are there important things to know and/or take note of? Just got my refurb 15" today.

Thanks in advance!

MacbookAlex

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2017
London, UK
Hi,

http://www.thebookyard.com/

This is a link to a very reputable UK parts buying website for Macs. If you go to the link and on their home page it says "view parts for my mac". Enter your serial no. there and it tells you some interesting info about your specific mac.

Alex
[doublepost=1492071115][/doublepost]Also, I should add that if you want to find out info about the battery you have installed in your mac, download coconut battery, not only does this tell you about the condition etc.. of the battery but it will give you a manufacture date and tell you it's brand.

get it here:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Alex

Reactions: wiffle

wiffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
i am also thinking about picking up a refurb tbMBP 15". was there any wear and tear on your and how many total battery cycles ?
nope, great condition (as opposed to the guy in the other thread who is having difficulty with paint chips etc).
1 cycle - brand new battery manufacturered 2 weeks before I put in the order.

digitallegend

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Vancouver
nope, great condition (as opposed to the guy in the other thread who is having difficulty with paint chips etc).
1 cycle - brand new battery manufacturered 2 weeks before I put in the order.
It seems like a lot of people have returned their macbooks because of problems, i am concerned because i might get stuck with a macbook that already has had problems.
Apple does have a 14 days return policy but i think its only for major problems, they might not take it back bcoz of wear and tear or high battery cycle count.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It seems like a lot of people have returned their macbooks because of problems, i am concerned because i might get stuck with a macbook that already has had problems.
Apple does have a 14 days return policy but i think its only for major problems, they might not take it back bcoz of wear and tear or high battery cycle count.
The return period is no-questions asked. The problems that cause returns include things like the track pad is too big, the keyboard is too loud, the ports need adapters to works with existing equipment, etc. If the problem is a hardware defect, that gets repaired.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Apple send out refurbs looking like new with a new battery in them.
The worst I have even heard of was some hairline scratches on the base plate mostly they look absolutely brand new and come with all the same return and warranty options as new.

Apple refurbs really are the best, they've been tested to death too so are less likely to have issues than a new one.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Batteries arent always new , my rmbp 2015 had 6 cycles on it, so guessing they deemed it new enough not to require replacing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.