Is there a way to force LTE back on after a phone call?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ObsidianBlade, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

So as is stated in some thread about phone calls on the iPhone 5, the phone drops LTE in lieu of regular "4G" during phone calls.

After the call, the phone doesn't immediately switch back to LTE for me. It takes up to several minutes. Is there a way to accelerate the process or is it just something to deal with? Not a big problem, just a little nit picking.

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Try this: After the call and while it still shows 4G, open mail or use an app that pulls data. See if it switches right away. I wonder if it's similar to WiFi in that sometimes it doesn't "wake up" right away but will respond quickly if you try to use data.

3. darster Suspended

4. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

Having similar problems with mine, in addition to the LTE radio seems to take awhile to initialize when waking the phone up from standby. Once its going and running, the connection is fast...but establishing it is taking forever. I'm actually going to email Apple support about this because its obnoxious enough that I have turned my LTE off and leaving it in 3G.

Airplane mode off/on does force it back to LTE, but noone should have to do that.

5. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Using data to "wake it" didn't work as I browsed MacRumors a bit. The Airplane mode thing worked though. As the other fella said, it's not something someone should have to do.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

7. oBMTo macrumors 6502

It's called Android.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

On my S3 running CM10 and PA my phone takes a couple of minutes to get data after going underground or in an elevator even if I try toggling airplane mode.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I noticed this as well. Actually, the first time I tried to call out when it was on LTE I got a "call failed" but after restarting the phone it's been fine all day since. I'm guessing that Apple will need to tweak the carrier settings file or that we'll see a patch in iOS 6.0.1 that speeds up the LTE/3G handoffs

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This reminds me of the corporate BlackBerry days. Only they had a (gasp!) removable battery.

I wonder if Apples ever heard of removable batteries. They're quite nice really. I'd carry a spare quite easily and have twice the life.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Except I only had to do that once, and perhaps not even that many times. I didn't try the airplane mode trick. In any case, it's been fine since.

I used to pull the battery at least once or twice a week on my Nexus One and BlackBerry. It got annoying.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My Galaxy Nexus has been very stable, never had to be reset since release day. Same for my SGS III. I love having a few lines for Android & iOS. They've all been great. I never get bored by having some choices.

13. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm