iPad Is there a way to get Pages and Keynote for free?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by latinspice15, Dec 25, 2012.

1. latinspice15 macrumors newbie

Sooo I restored my ipad to its factory settings and I lost everything. I had some EXTREMELY important college essays on Pages and I was dumb enough not to email them to myself or something. Now I'm frustrated because I have to pay $20 to get Pages and Keynote. I didn't pay them when I purchased my iPad because they were already installed. I know this may seem like a dumb question but before paying for them I was wondering if there's a way to get them for free? I don't want to jailbreak the iPad though. No chance. But yeah, if anyone knows that would be awesome :)

Or if you have any idea as to how I could get my essays back then that would be awesome too! (Once again, spare me the ''you should have saved them somewhere else'' lesson. I know it was a stupid thing to do.)

2. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Check the "Purchased" section of the App Store/iTunes and see if you can re-download it from there.

3. evilblob macrumors member

If you we're on iOS 5, it's worth checking iCloud.com, signing in and clicking iWork. If you had iCloud turned on, you can download them from there on a Mac or PC, but you'll only be able to use them on a Mac or iOS device.

4. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not have iCloud yet so I unfortunately cannot retrieve them from there.

----------

Already tried. They aren't there.

----------

What are the chances that if I get Pages back my stuff will still be there?
    I've read somewhere else that all documents disappear when you restore and update. Is this true?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your stuff will not just magically reappear even if you install the app back.
    Take it as a lesson learned.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Loh into your iTunes account where your apps were initially purchased and download them agin.

If this was done by a former owner of your iPad and you don't have access to that iTunes account, you never owned the apps in the first place...

As the iTunes account holder, you can download again without repurchasing.

7. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Actually I've had some situations where I've had to buy apps twice. Sometimes if you purchased the apps several years ago iTunes doesn't remember that far back. The iTunes purchased section isn't purchased and there's some apps that I paid for back in 2007 and 2008 that don't show up there that are long gone on my phone including a really cool western game that I wish I could look up but don't remember the name.

For instance I purchased the paid version of AOL Instant Messanger 4 or 5 years ago and recently I had to restore my iPhone as a new phone and iTunes made me pay for it again. I paid either $2 or $3, I can't remember which but I decided it was not worth my time to go through and find the receipt and then call Apple.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago with Tetris.

iTunes also used to let you use your AOL account instead of having an iTunes account which was retired a few years ago and all of music I purchased on that account no longer works and the DRM in the music files won't let me play these files. I had to download these albums from rogue websites when I actually paid for them years ago. Weird.