Is there a way to get rid of the (1) on the Settings icon without updating?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by desertman, Mar 27, 2013.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Well, the title says it already: Is there a way to get rid of the (1) on the Settings icon without updating?

My iPad and my iPhone are both running on iOS 6.1.2 and I would like to keep it that way because I would like to keep the possibility to jailbreak my devices. Since a couple of days the Settings icon on both devices shows a red (1) to remind me of the update.

I can, of course, just ignore the nagging red (1) on the Settings icon but I would prefer to get rid of it (without updating). Is that possible?

Greetings - desertman

2. Tyler23, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Without jailbreaking, the only way to get rid of it is to update.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The only way that I've managed to get rid of the (1) is to keep the phone full enough that it doesn't have enough space to install the update.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It actually will remove that update indicator badge when you reach a point of not having enough space for the update? Or are you saying it won't show it to begin with if you already at that point before the update (notification) comes out?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry, I didn't word my earlier post well. My phone is full enough that it never showed the update in the first place. I think if you're seeing the update then it'll have pre-downloaded it and therefore reserved the space for it :(

6. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that's probably the best reason to finally jailbreak my iOS devices.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

You guys give all weird responses. Why not answer straight forwardly?

All you have to do is goto settings, general, reset all settings. That gets rid of the 1 badge.

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

And resets everything as well which may be time consuming to redo. And the when you open the settings app, the badge will show up again. Or I would assume so

9. TechiEmmanuel, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

TechiEmmanuel macrumors member

TechiEmmanuel

Is there a way to get rid of the (1) on the Settings icon without updating?

I recall seeing a package in Cydia that allows you to remove the update badge from the Settings app. I'll get back to you once I find it.

Edit:

Found it! It's "OTA Begone."

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as answers go that would actually be more of a weird one than the others.

11. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesn't. (And why would it? The information about an update-to-do has not much to do with settings.)

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

It does work, I just did it again this morning. Of course if you goto software update, the 1 will come back again.

13. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just did it a second time this morning on my iPad with iOS 6.1.2 - and the (1) is still on the Settings icon. I did make sure that App Store is not running before resetting and I did not open App Store after resetting.

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I think he wants to do it without jailbreaking

15. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually did jailbreak my iPad now and installed "noOTA badge" which seems to be the successor of "OTA Begone" (which I cannot find in the Cydia store). However, it unfortunately does not work and I still see the (1) on the Settings icon.

16. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Did you jailbreak with evasi0n on iOS 6.1.2? Even after opening settings -> general -> updates and exiting doesnt make the badge disappear?

Edit: try using badge clearer from cydia. You can uninstall it after you remove the 1 badge on the settings icon

17. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did jailbreak with evasi0n on iOS 6.1.2.

No way to make noOTA work on my iPad. I uninstalled it, installed Badge Clearer, made the (1) on Settings disappear, and uninstalled Badge Clearer as well. Works. Thanks for the tip.

What I don't quite understand is that it seems now not to be possible to search for iOS updates from within Settings - General -Software Updates at all. When I go into Settings I do see the (1) on General but when I search for updates I only get an eternally spinning wheel next to the sentence "Checking for Update...). Is that normal after jailbreaking?

In general I like it very much to have a "free" iPad now. The first app I installed was BrowserChooser to finally being able to choose iCab as default browser. Terrific!

18. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Only for evasi0n. They disabled the OTA daemons so your device won't even connect to apple's server to check if there is an iOS update. That's why it's continuously spinning; it's not making any connection. It's to prevent people from accidentally updating and ruining their jailbreak

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

Maybe iPad's are different from iphones. After doing the reset, hold the home button and power/lock button until a little bit after the apple logo shows. That will do a reset + restart. Can't guarantee it'll work since I don't have an ipad...