Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I bought my Mom a 3G iPhone that I am planning for her to use like a Touch (no SIM card, no phone capability, but the camera, GPS, WiFi and everything else still active).

She can probably live it it, but I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the annoying "No SIM card inserted" message that frequently pops up? I've read that airplane mode is an option, but I don't want to disable WiFi and GPS. disabling 3G and even Edge in SBSettings doesn't quite do the trick either.

Any help or direction is much appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: eyezoo

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
Turn on airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on manually. I just tested this and both WiFi and location services are working.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'll probably go the airplane route and then make sure the other two services are on. Thanks!

One more question...is there any thing that would trip or reset airplane mode and then NOT have WiFi back on? Or once i set it, will it remain that way indefinitely? I'm just anticipating "support" calls from her.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'll probably go the airplane route and then make sure the other two services are on. Thanks!

One more question...is there any thing that would trip or reset airplane mode and then NOT have WiFi back on? Or once i set it, will it remain that way indefinitely? I'm just anticipating "support" calls from her.

As long as she doesn't touch it, the Airplane mode trigger will not trip. Just explain to her about the trigger and if she does happen to trigger it, show her how to fix it right back. It ain't that hard... lol

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If you put an old SIM card into the phone that is no longer registered it will just say no service. But the airplane mode is your best bet. The SIM card thing is just a fall back.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
If you put an old SIM card into the phone that is no longer registered it will just say no service. But the airplane mode is your best bet. The SIM card thing is just a fall back.

The person I bought it from did leave the SIM card in there. I'm pretty sure it's deactivated though. Just didn't want someone elses phone number showing up and my Mom wondering who it was.

Then again, I am planning to hide the phone and SMS icons anyway...maybe she'd never see it then?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Why didn't you just buy her an iPod Touch? was the camera feature really important?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Why didn't you just buy her an iPod Touch? was the camera feature really important?

Yeah, for the same money, this iPhone adds the camera and GPS (they will likely use when driving up in northern Wisconsin). I know the pre-installed Google Maps won't work without phone service up there, but pre-installing TomTom will work.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
You'd be surprised at how many people don't realize you can turn wifi and location services back on with airplane mode being on.
Interestingly enough, this wasn't possible with iOS 1.0.

AirplaneMode.JPG

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Yeah, for the same money, this iPhone adds the camera and GPS (they will likely use when driving up in northern Wisconsin). I know the pre-installed Google Maps won't work without phone service up there, but pre-installing TomTom will work.
Instal app maps.me

Then when on wifi download the maps you want and from then on you have maps in the phone and GPS on map showing you where you are. Even has routing capability.

shiw8

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2016
Instal app maps.me

Then when on wifi download the maps you want and from then on you have maps in the phone and GPS on map showing you where you are. Even has routing capability.
Wow, such a great tip ! Though I can't install it on a iPhone 3G, there is another app, Galileo, that can be installed here. :D
TYVM!!! <3

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I read this thread, and felt I needed to interject.

Until recently (iOS 8 or 9 I believe) turning airplane mode on would disable the onboard GPS.

The solution would be to:

1. Buy a mfi 30 pin or MFI Bluetooth GPS. I have had good luck with several of the bad elf products.

2. Disable airplane mode when you need the GPS.

3. Buy the Tom Tom kit, it has it's own external GPS in the dock, and should be cheap enough as it only fit older iPhones.

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Car-Kit-iPhone-compatible/dp/B002X2F2N8

I saw a post that says the Tom Tom kit only works with the Tom Tom app, so you may need to go with option 1 or 2 (external mfi GPS or disable airplane mode when GPS is needed).

EDIT: Magellan has a dock they say works with any GPS app.
http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-Premium-iPhone-iPod-touch/dp/B002WN30IM

Last edited:

jessica0123

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Settings airplane mode and turn on.If it won't work,maybe there is somethingn wrong with my SIM.

TreeDude

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Did some testing with an old 5c on iOS 10 I want to give to my kid. Airplane mode does indeed disable GPS. But if connected to wifi location services work through the wifi connection. But without any wifi signal my location services do not work. With airplane mode off everything works as expected. I have an old SIM that isn't attached to an account anymore that keeps the SIM card message at bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.