Is there a way to get SMS to NOT pop up on home screen??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cusipz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Cusipz macrumors newbie

As the title says, I'd much rather see a "1" or whatever number on the SMS icon, like it works for Email. I don't like it popping on the home screen forcing you to take action before doing anything else..

Does anyone know if this can be changed?

Thanks!

2. aljlin macrumors regular

Under settings>General>passcode lock, you can turn off SMS preview.

I just checked it and it doesn't show the sms.. it still shows the # and that there is a text message but it doesn't show the txt message if you are worrying about security and such.

3. Cusipz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! Never looked in that section because I hadn't set a passcode. Was looking for SMS everywhere else in the settings!

4. bassy macrumors newbie

thanks alot for that buddy, same as never thought to look there...
    AAA+++

5. phannon666 macrumors regular

I had wondered about this as well! But after looking, when I go into password lock... there's nothing but a keypad for me to set it, which I don't really want to do. Am I completely blind, or do you have to set a passcode first?:confused:

***EDIT***

nvm, I decided to put in a lock code and it popped up, then I turned of the code, cheers anyway :)

6. themanthegiant macrumors newbie

i turned sms preview off but when i receive a text, i still see the message. do i need to reset the phone?

7. phannon666 macrumors regular

I just realised this as well, seems like you HAVE to have the passcode lock enabled for the Disable SMS preview option to work at all. Pretty irritating... but a minor niggle on an otherwise amazing phone.