Is there a way to have new mail vibrate only? And audible for everything else.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokiju, Apr 10, 2009.

1. lokiju macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing any way, but maybe I'm missing something.

Is there any way to make it so that only email vibrates and does not make a a audible sound while allowing for my iPhone to still make sounds for everything else?

I get non stop emails through the night and it'll keep me up all night as a result, so I have been using the switch on my iPhone to go into silent mode. The problem is I don't want to miss calendar notification or phone calls, which as happened on a few occasions.

Any tips?

I'd really like a solution that doesn't require jail breaking if at all possible since this is a company paid for and managed iPhone.

2. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Uh, turn the Mail sound off in Settings? :)

Only other way would be to jailbreak your iPhone and set the new mail sound to a file that has no audio.

4. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that and then sent myself an email and it didn't vibrate.

Is it supposed to still vibrate?

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes, if you have the Vibrate option under Ring settings turned on. Let me try this now to confirm. :)

EDIT: Well I guess I owe you an apology, it didn't work! The only way I could see it working is the jailbreak option I suggested to you before. Also, I would submit this to Apple feedback form, I could see it useful to have the phone ring but not make sounds when you receive voicemail.