Is there a way to keep iTunes music on your HD, and TV Shows and Movies externally

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kidman13, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kidman13 macrumors regular

Kidman13

I was wondering if there's a way I can keep all my music (about 15GB) and Books on my local HD but move the Movies and TV Shows (about 100GB) somewhere else.

iTunes seems to have an all or nothing approach only allowing you to move the entire iTunes library somewhere else.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I have this set up. All my music is on my HDD and my movies are on my external connected to my AEBS. You can point iTunes to where everything is located.

3. Kidman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Kidman13

How do you point it to different locations for different media types?

I can only seem to find one setting in the preference pane for the entire library

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm not infront of a computer with iTunes on it right now, but take all your movies and move them to the external. Trying to play one it will come up with a message saying that it cannot locate the file. Point it to the file on your external. It should find the rest of them there as well.

There is probably a much easier way, but without my personal computer in front of me that's what I would try for now.