Is there a way to make MacBook Pro Retina never fall asleep and is that bad for it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I was thinking it might be useful for me to never let my MBPr sleep when the lid is open.

Is there a way to do this and also what are the consequences to the computer?

Thanks

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Thank you for making me smile

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's awesome.

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The app store review from that "challenged user" that was looking for the hot-corner display-off function (that OS X has by default) rating the app 2 stars was hilarious.

Although, somewhat interesting since Caffeine replicates a function that OS X already has (Preferences > Energy Saver > Computer sleep 'never') albeit with a convenient switch to be able to flip between never and whatever your normal settings are.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

System preferences, set sleep to "never". Your computer has all those settings built right in.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

System Preferences → Energy Saver.

Under 'Power Adapter', prevent computer from sleeping when display is off.

Under battery power, it'll just go to sleep regardless. This is present in all Haswell Macs, even the desktops.

But then, I wonder why would you want to let it sleep, considering that it wakes up so fast and has an SSD.

8. BriOS macrumors member

Only reason I can see is when downloading big file that takes longer than your mac sleep time.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wake for network access would negate that.

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What is wait for network access?

----------

Would leaving my MacBook Pro retina awake all of the time shorten the overall lifespan of the notebook?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wake for network access means just what the name implies.

Say you're downloading a large file that'll take 2 hours to get through, and you set your computer's sleep timer to 15 minutes. If the "Wake for network access" checkbox is ticked, it just won't fall asleep, because, you guessed it: the network is being accessed.

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's already checked on default on mine

13. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

That is not what it means at all. Where did you hear that? Wake for network access does nothing when the computer is awake.

Wake for network access means that when the computer is already asleep it is listening on the LAN for so-called "magic packets" that can be sent by other devices. If it receives one of these wake-packets then it will command the system to come out of sleep mode.

This is used by Apple for things like accessing your iTunes library from an Apple TV - if you use home sharing and your Mac is asleep then the Apple TV sends a wake packet and your Mac wakes up so you can stream from it.

Or if you have a laptop set to do a Time Machine backup using a disk that is mounted on your desktop Mac over the network. The laptop will send a wake packet that pulls the desktop Mac out of sleep so that the Time Machine disk can be accessed.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use InsomniaX and disable idle sleep.

15. xylitol macrumors regular

My Mac (except for display) has never gone to sleep when I've been downloading something, unless I've scheduled it to sleep at a specific time.