Is there a way to make sure my old iPhone isn't getting my iMessages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoukiFC3S, Sep 28, 2012.

1. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

With the new iPhone 5, a lot of us are selling their old iPhones.

There was reports a few months ago of wiped devices still receiving iMessages.

Has a fix or solution been released for this?

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Factory reset?

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sign out of all iCloud services on your existing device before resetting it.

4. KoukiFC3S thread starter macrumors 6502a

This might now work because iMessage is tied to the iPhone's serial #, so it might still push messages even after a reset.

What if I've already reset and sold the phone?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't know if it will help, but you can manage your devices associated with your iTunes account from iTunes. Delete old devices you no longer own.

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I didn't realize you could manage individual devices. For some reason I thought that was a feature of the newer iTunes that hasn't been released yet. Anyhow, removed my old 4s off there easy enough. But my 5 is not showing up. I've got iCloud all set up on there, app store/iTunes store all logged in and everything. It only just recently showed up on my AT&T account yesterday actually even though I've had it activated since launch day.

7. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

This is interesting... A wipe off should really do the job, shouldn't it? I mean, iMessage needs email addresses or phone numers in order to work...

I'm planning on selling my 4S too, so would be nice to know if the buyer might end up receiving my messages...

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think my 5 shows up as a 4S. Weird.

----------

I didn't in the past because the server had the phone's IMEI registered to your account. People were selling their phones and finding the new buyer was still getting their messages. Some creepy stalker stuff was going on.

9. egibbys macrumors newbie

egibbys

Same here.

10. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

You also want to sign out of all App/iTunes Stores. Resetting, even restoring does not remove that information. Silly, but it's true. Sign out, reset, and you're good to go.

11. apb89 macrumors regular

My 5 is showing as 4s also in iTunes, when I sign into my account and I click on the devices. Strange.. :X

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Also be sure to remove your old Sim card when selling your phone. iMessages, iCloud and phone tracking are tied to the Sim card!! I reset and sold my phone but let the user borrow my Sim card to activate it. I could track his phone. It created a fine mess. :eek:

13. jls1986 macrumors member

I'm so confused on what to do when I sell my old phone. Whoever I sell it to needs my sim card to activate? Can't they just go to an AT&T store and get it taken care of? Sure don't want anyone getting my messages and would rather not give them my SIM card.

14. vastoholic, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Whoops. I may have just disabled my new phone then. :eek: ***EDIT*** I take that back, I looked at the authorization date before hand and it was when it was back in March when I actually activated the phone on AT&T so it couldn't have been my 5.

I wasn't too worried when I sold my 4s. I took the SIM out, but then put it back in to get him through the new set up process. I made sure he finished it so he would have to enter all his email information, ensuring mine would no longer be in use, and then I forgot to take the SIM back out. I met him at his place of work so I trusted him to get rid of it afterwards when he put his in.

15. fins831 macrumors 6502a

16. ntnwwnet macrumors 6502

ntnwwnet

This.

17. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

19. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Ideally you want to:

1. Disable iMessage
    2. Full Wipe