Is there a way to make the dock span all the way across the bottom of the screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by D-Back, Nov 26, 2009.

1. D-Back macrumors member

D-Back

Sorry if it has been asked before, but I am new to osx and have been wondering if it would be possible to have the dock span all the way across the screen (like how Windows 7 does). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

No - the dock is designed to only take up a certain amount of your screen - it is not a toolbar.

3. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Like pdjudd said the dock is not really a toolbar similar to Windows but if you want it to go wider you have to add icon shortcuts to it. If don't have enough applications you can also added document files and folders to the dock. The dock is basically where you put shortcuts so it's only as wide as how many shortcut icons you have in it. Mine is almost as wide as my screen. You can also increase the size of the dock which makes it take up more width but it also takes up more height space too.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wrong ... kind of. You can fool your dock by using blank icons or dock spacers. Look up dock spacers to see what I mean.

5. tallguy macrumors regular

Well yes but as he said the dock isn't actually designed with that in mind. It's supposed to take up minimal space.

6. cube macrumors G5

Make the icons bigger in the Dock preferences.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Why do you want that? Just to be like Windows?

As the French say, "Vive la difference!"

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the main reason as no one seems to have added is because the corners of a screen are the easiest to navigate to with a mouse and have been reserved for the 'hot corners' tool, which you can find in the system preferences.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But you don't have to have hot corners activated, and I'm not so sure that the two could not co-exist.