Is there a way to mark apps I'm interested in but don't want to buy right away?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roisin and mac, Mar 12, 2011.

?

Do you want an 'Add to wishlist' option for Mac App Store apps?

1. yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roisin and mac, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

roisin and mac macrumors 6502

I know I can a) copy the link (then paste it somewhere) and b) email it to a friend, or of course myself.

But both are a kind of a hassle, especially when you're basically 'shopping around' for an app - ie, those times when you know you want something, say, photography related, but there are several interesting possibilities so you want to check them all out first, then settle on one. Particularly as mac apps tend to be more expensive, on average, than iphone apps, so it's generally not possible to just download all of them as you find them, then decide which ones are worth keeping ;)

In such cases, you can end up with several emails to self (and the process for doing that in the first place gets kind of tedious after the third or fourth time - plus after all the interruptions you begin to lose focus :p). Copy-pasting the links in a single document (eg a Sticky) is a little more economical in terms of the number of clicks, but it's still an interruption, not to mention that the app is frequently not recognizable by url alone, so you have to type out its name too :/

I know the itunes store (both the apps section and the music section) has a button that lets you add the app to a wishlist. I'd love to have that in the mac app store too! I know if I did, I'd use it a lot more; as it is now I frequently have the urge to go to the app store to find a nice app for one project or another (I have several going at any one time :p), but my enthusiasm kind of deflates after I remember that there's just no way to organize my research.

What do you think?

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

As far as I know, there is no option like this. However, you could take a screenshot of the app page and have it save to a specific folder. That way you're a keyboard combination away from saving all the apps you are interested in, and you can go back and look at them later.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think a Wishlist feature for the Mac App Store would be a good idea. I use the iTunes Store Wishlist quite a lot, because otherwise I just forget about albums I want.

5. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

This still seems like a fairly lengthy process - you have to launch the grab app, select which grab to do, then save it, etc, quite a palaver!:p
    Unless there's a quicker way to do this that I don't know about, in which case I would love to hear it!

thanks! i might try that :)

yeah. that would definitely be the simplest, cleanest solution - no need for workarounds like copy-pasting links and screenshots, or for external options like evernote, both of which seem like a lot to do for what is just one single feature, even as handy as this (I am considering evernote, but it will be just for the mac app store because right now I don't totally need its other features :))

6. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Command+shift+3 takes a screen shot, command+shift+4+tap the spacebar allows you to select an individual window.