Is there a way to move instead of copy media to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carlsson, Nov 7, 2013.

1. carlsson macrumors 6502

carlsson

As the title; Is there a way to move instead of copy media to iTunes?

I want iTunes to sort and manage my media files, so I have checked the "Copy to iTunes" checkbox. Unchecking this will only relate the files to where they are.

I want iTunes to take the files, organize them, and not leave a trace of them, from where I took them.

I really don't understand why there's no such option in iTunes....?

2. simpledave macrumors newbie

There's a function in preferences that you can "let itunes organize your media" check it and itunes will move your file to its library automatically ;)

3. carlsson thread starter macrumors 6502

carlsson

Thanks for the answer. I was obviously not very clear.

I'm aware of the organize function, but I don't want my files to be *copied* into my library, I want them to be *moved*.

Eg: I have som audio files on my Desktop. When I drag them to iTunes, I want them to disappear from the Desktop, and instead being moved (instead of copied) into iTunes and it's folder structure.

4. simpledave macrumors newbie

Dont worry it WILL move. Just check that button .

5. carlsson thread starter macrumors 6502

carlsson

Are you sure?
    According to Apple Help (and various web sites) it will stay in place, and iTunes will only relate to the file.

But I'll try. WAM...

...nope, didn't work.

6. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I don't believe it's possible, at least with only iTunes. The reason is to protect your original files. By copying the files, it leaves the originals untouched. I'm fairly new to the Mac platform but maybe it would be possible with AppleScript.

7. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes this is possible. There is a folder located in the iTunes folder:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes/

If you drop files into this folder, the files will be added to iTunes by moving instead of copying. Works great for big files like movies, but also for music.

Just put the folder in the Sidebar of the Finder window and you can move stuff into iTunes with ease. It sometimes takes a moment for stuff to appear.

8. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

I did move the file to the sidebar in Finder, but

when I then attempted to move three albums to iTunes, they appeared as thirty + separate songs, not three albums w/ songs "w/in" the album.

Any ideas why?

9. The Man macrumors 6502

I assume each song is already tagged with album information and such? Do they have the same artist or are they compilations?

10. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Same artists

in the case of the three particular albums I was thinking about when I replied above. I've tried to import other "store-bought" albums from CD's, but end up with a gray square for each song and no "album" format. On the other hand, I do have some albums that copied and are displayed as albums in my iTunes albums listing. These were done much earlier.