Is there a way to pre-order an iPhone 5 off-contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gametime10, Oct 6, 2012.

1. gametime10 macrumors regular

I'm on a T-Mobile plan so I'd like an off-contract iPhone 5. But I can't figure out a way to order it from the Apple website or AT&T. I'm able to put a full price iPhone 5 in my cart on the AT&T website, but it requires me to add a phone plan with it before I check out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dechter macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, and the consensus is that we'll have to wait for Apple to offer an unlocked phone via Apple.com (likely Oct 19ish-- 30 days after the iPhone 5 launch), or some people have been successful in buying an iPhone for full price at Apple stores. I don't live near an Apple store, so I'm playing the waiting game...

3. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

No you cannot. AT&T is not in the business of selling phones, they're in the business of selling phone plans.
    Also, it seems Apple's agreements with carriers in the US prevents them from selling unlocked phones for at least some time after coming out with a new phone (at least that's my guess as to why they don't offer unlocked phones in the US for the first month or two).
    If you can find one in an Apple store without reserving, you should be able to buy one as a device only without a plan. As far as I know, carrier stores won't sell you one without a plan, even if you buy it full price with no contract.
    You can order one with AT&T full price with a plan, and then cancel the plan as you do not have a 2 year contract, but you might still be required to pay the first month + $36 activation fee, and the phone is not unlocked if you buy it that way.

4. soya macrumors 6502

soya

Just wait a few days, unlocked iPhone 5 is not that far.. :rolleyes: Else you can buy a full price AT&T iPhone 5 on Ebay but you will have to unlock it (5$) and it should be slightly pricier. Your choice.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Buy a full price no contract iPhone from BestBuy, Target, Walmart or RadioShack then pay the $10 on Ebay for a the IMEI unlock.

6. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I too am on T-mobile (SGS2) and waiting to buy a full priced iPhone 5 from Apple stores when the supply improves. Apple usually sells unlocked ones 2 months after the roll out with wireless providers. Next year when LTE comes, I expect a large number of out of contract AT&T upgrades from 4S may end up on T-mobile. No wonder AT&T was willing to pay a huge price for T-mobile to remove the only future GSM competition.

I am also waiting for the quality issues to be sorted out. - Wi-Fi speed issues on some phones, scruff marks on phones (there was strike yesterday at the Foxcon plant because management is tightening quality and workers could not produce covers without scruff marks and production was down for a hour) etc.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This is about the 167th new thread in the past week about getting an off contract phone. Amazing.

8. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Request someone you know with an AT&T iPhone 5 to buy one for you. They can do so by paying full price plus tax and without signing a 2 year agreement.