Is there a way to prevent Safari from redirecting to search engines?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Unspeaked, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Before installing Leopard, if I typed a single word into Safari's address bar and it matched the URL for an existing website, it would automatically take me to it.

If the site didn't exist, I'd get an error message.

Since installing Leopard, I am always taken to my ISP's search page if I type in anything without a .com (or appropriate suffix).

Is there anyway to correct this...?

2. portent macrumors 6502a

Sure. Switch internet providers.

Safari is not doing this. Safari is looking up your entry in DNS. Your ISP has started "helping" you by sending you to the search page when you enter an address that is not in DNS. It's coincidental that your ISP started this "service" about the same time that you installed Leopard.

If your ISP didn't provide this "service," Safari would try DNS again and attach ".com" as it usually does.

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I was afraid this might be the case.

But believe me, it's not "about the same time." If a change was made, it was made in the 30 or 40 minutes it took to install Leopard, because I used it immediately before and immediately after and only got this result after...

:(

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Yes, this is an annoying feature brought on by Leopard. Solution: Use openDNS!