Is there a way to receive a wireless signal and have it come out on an ethernet cable

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Alright, so I need help, that much is obvious. Here’s my problem: say I have a wireless network, and I want to connect a device on another floor of my house, but there is already a wired network up there, is there a kind of router or access point that lets you receive the wireless signal from my broadband router, and send it along through a wired network (so I don’t have to run a cable up to flights of stairs or drill any holes)? What I’m looking for is some sort of backwards wireless router that goes wireless→wired, not wired→wireless. Does such a thing exist? Will any access point do this and I’m just not aware?
Any help would be appreciated, I’m looking to set this up pretty soon, if it’s even possible. :eek:

Thanks in Advance Mates

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Yep, its called a wireless ethernet bridge. I just ordered the Linksys WET54G for my Slingbox.

A quick Google search for ethernet bridge should give you good results. FYI, you adjust settings for your network through a browser by going to the bridge's IP (like 192.168.1.110 or so).

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
wow after hearing the name, I feel ashamed I didn't think of that to begin with. Wireless, Ethernet, Bridge. The answer to my problem is practically all spelled out for me right there lol

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Steve1496 said:
Yep, its called a wireless ethernet bridge. I just ordered the Linksys WET54G for my Slingbox.

A quick Google search for ethernet bridge should give you good results. FYI, you adjust settings for your network through a browser by going to the bridge's IP (like 192.168.1.110 or so).
when you do that, do you have to port forward twice, one on ther ethernet bridge, one on the access point?