Is there a way to reduce the weigh of the MBP 2010 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Mar 18, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I love this laptop and the resolution is good for my work. However, I feel that it is getting heavier than before for unknown reason. Is there a way to reduce its weigh? I have an internal 500GB HD. Not sure if going for SSD of similar size would reduce the overall weight to a noticeable level.

2. simsaladimbamba

How can it get heavier?
    I have the 2009 17" MBP and it ways still the same, meaning it is not noticeable, than it has the day I bought it.
    And I switched the HDD for an SSD some months ago.

You could remove the optical drive or if you have the glossy version, the glass.

3. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Have you been downloading alot of files recently? those things build up over time and will make your laptop heavier!
    :D

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5. EVO9Nate, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

EVO9Nate macrumors member

You could go to the gym and work out more… :confused: or go buy a 15" for the Win...:cool: :apple:

6. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Have you got a lot of PDF files? Those things weight about the same as the paper version. If that's it, then just transfer them to an external drive & you'll really notice the difference.

Happy to be of help!

7. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

8. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

the 17" ones have been known to make midnight Dunkin Donuts runs. I'd buy a Kensington lock cable and chain it to the desk if it were mine.

If you don't, next it will be hitting strip clubs on the weekends using your credit card. It's a slippery slope I tell you.....

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Brilliant!

12. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Haha the responses in this thread are great. I love it.

13. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Employ a midget to carry it around for you, as a bonus you can convert him to a handy laptop stand when you use your MBP.

iMidget, its apples next super product i tell you.

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Wow, awesome responses here...

To the OP, there's no way its getting heavier. You could swap to a SSD and\or remove the optical drive which is going to shave a little weight. Its really not too much though so it might be time to hit the gym.

15. tcador, Mar 18, 2011

tcador macrumors regular

I recommend pulling the a/c and taking out the back seats, oh wait.....

or you could try deleting some files.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I thought everybody knew about the MacBook beaver?!

If you leave your MB on during the night the warm glow attracts the MacBook beaver. He gently unscrews the casing and craps inside then puts it back together and slinks off into the night. This is why its getting heavier. You need to purge the beaver crap by running it under cold water and then disinfect the logicboard with bleach until the beavers scent is totally gone.

17. mac jones, Mar 18, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

Well there's nothing wrong with the gravitation field (that I know of), and I don't think the battery is taking on mass due to chemical reactions (although i'm not %100 on this).

So you must be getting weaker. I'm sorry.

18. diannao macrumors regular

Great thread!

If the MBP is not the only thing which seems to be getting heavier, you might want to have a checkup.

Otherwise, is it your computer bag that's getting heavier? It's possible you've accumulated a lot of stuff in it; I know I do this in mine.

The anti-glare model is a little lighter, so perhaps it's time to upgrade.

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could remove the battery as it is one of the heaviest parts. If you have a glossy remove the screen. All that glass, the TFT panel + surroundings weigh something too.

Or just get a Sony Z that is way lighter and you can run a marathon with it or do whatever it is you want to do with your too heavy notebook.

20. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wow. This thread is so full of win. It's a close tie between the MacBook Beaver and the saw, but I have to go with the beave!

To the OP, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish but this was a softball setup and MR hit it out of the park.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Somewhere high altitude should reduce the weight a little. Perhaps moving into Peru or the Himalayas should do it. Or if you're more adventurous, you should apply to move into space or train to be the people who go to Mars.

Better yet. Run a keylogger app, then sort by the list of keys that you use least and just remove those keys. The caps lock key should be removed regardless, along with the right command and option keys.

22. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

This is pure Yoko Ono performance art stuff. I can see the instructions she would write for this.

23. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Seriously, the only real way to remove weight is to remove components....

You could swap the mechanical hard drive for a SSD. This would save some weight.

You could remove the Optical drive entirely. This also would save some weight.

You could switch to only 1 stick of ram. Again this would save some weight (although would affect performance).

You could also remove the battery and replace with something smaller (i.e. maybe a battery from a 13?). This will lower your battery life.

The first three might shave a half pound off, the last one maybe another half pound.

In the end either get an MBA and hook it to a 27" screen or GO TO THE GYM.

Seriously, electronic components don't "get heavier". Other maybe a little dust in side, they don't add or lose weight. Seriously....

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

The biggest weight problem is the screen. Remove the screen and rig up a cable to direct the video output direct to your brain.

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

that's funny

but seriously SSD will save you about 35 grams. taking out the optical drive is another 100 grams I think. that's 0.29 pounds.