Is there a way to reserve a iPhone 6 plus on contract then switch to NEXT??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rossiskiracer91, Oct 17, 2014.

1. rossiskiracer91 macrumors member

Hey everyone I've been looking for a 6 plus and ran into a situation today. My local Apple Store told me last week that any inventory they get in during the day is not sold until the next day. I stopped by the Apple Store around 11am on my way out of town and they didn't have any pluses. I drove up to my parents house 2.5 hours north of where I live and checked online to find out that they have the plus I want and are selling them today. I tried to reserve it but the Apple Store won't allow NEXT users to reserve phones. I called the store and asked if there's anything that can be done and they pretty much said I'm out of luck since I'm not able to come to the store. Does anyone know if I could reserve it as a contract phone but change to next upon picking it up? Or am I really just out of luck if I'm not in town? Thanks in advance!!

2. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

YMMV, but that's exactly how I purchased mine. Purchased on contract online. The next day when the order was ready, I went to the store and told them I wanted to purchase device only. They cancelled the online order and sold it to me device only. I could have done it it NEXT (she offered) but went with device only.

Good luck!!

3. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Okay awesome! I wish I would have known that earlier today. I had the plus then went to a 6 and now I want the plus again. For good this time lol. Hopefully they get more in stock soon as I've been waiting for about a week and a half now. Thanks!!

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

In short, yes you can. Several people have done it this way. Cancel your AT&T order, purchase the phone on contract price for in-store pick up, then when you get to the Apple store, have them switch it to Next. It's a seamless process and they should have you set up in no time. The only drawback I can think of is that once you cancel your order, you're basically dependent on Apple's stock for that day, which varies. Good luck.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

But you do have to pay the contact pricing, right?

6. Gryfter, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

once you cancel the order, the phone is still right in front of you... dont let the blue shirts tell you you cant buy it under NEXT or "device only"... once you cancel the 2 yr contract, the phone does NOT go right into the stock for pre-orders or walk ins right away...

but be nice and courteous when asking them to do it... they are doing you a favor afterall...

you'll get charged for the contract pricing for the phone but they also process the return right away... then you have the option of either buying the phone and paying in full as "device only" or they can call AT&T and have it set up on the NEXT program... with NEXT, you just get charged for the tax on the phone and the installments start with your next bill...

forgot to mention this 1 last thing, you will need to wait about 5-10 mins for the upgrade eligibility to reset after cancelling the 2 year contract... if you have the AT&T app, keep refreshing the page yourself and once you see the eligibility reset, let the blue shirt helping you know...

7. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to reserve a iPhone 6 plus on contract then switch to NEXT??

Sounds good. I'm most likely paying full price so it should work well for me. Do any of you know when store quantities update online? I've heard 9pm and midnight, but haven't seen any changes in stock. They may have not gotten anymore yesterday though.

8. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

In order to reserve for in-store pick up, yes.

9. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

this is what I used: http://idevicechecker.com/

there are others as well...