Is there a way to setup my Mighty Mouse's side buttons to work as left and right?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jessica Lares, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can set Applescripts that'll let you use your buttons for practically anything, so I'm wondering if there's something that will let me set the left button as the LEFT arrow, and the right as my RIGHT arrow?

I'm currently working on a video where I have to draw on top of every frame (rotoscoping), and because I'm mostly just clicking like 50 million times to paint with the brush, and then using my arrows to move between frames, it would be more efficient for me to not have to touch the keyboard period.

Can I write something like that in Applescript? Is there a better way to set this up. I don't really have many choices in the mouse setup. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that my mouse is from 2006, or it's just an OS X thing in general.

2. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Can you press the arrow with your left (or non-mouse) hand?

It seems like the Mighty Mouse should be able to separately detect the side buttons because pressing either activates what I have set in the mouse prefs, but it would be awkward to do with just one hand on the mouse.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I type with just my left hand without looking at my keys. I also use my trackpad with my index and thumb, and then middle when I need to do multitouch. So I don't think it would be a big problem for me.

I don't have very good control of my right hand due to nerve damage, and I have to stop a few seconds just for my brain to transmit the data (if you wanna call it that, ha) to tell it to press the buttons.

It's awkward, I press too hard, and I feel like I'm going to end up snapping the buttons off - Which has happened before on my other MBP. :eek:

Now that I'm looking, the two buttons are just one, but I could setup my scrolling ball in the middle to do the same thing, and set it up so it does it slowly so it just switches between 1 frame instead of sweeping through it all.

Still I would need to know how to accomplish this in Applescript.