Is there a way to 'slow down' a time lapse video shot on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by acousticbiker, Jan 3, 2015.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've seen a few for-pay apps that aim to do this, but is anyone aware of a free option?

2. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Hyperlapse frm instagram has options for speeds. Check it out. Its free as well..

3. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I had checked that one because it's been written about quite extensively, but I didn't see any way to slow down an existing video (unless I missed it)

4. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I guess already shot videos can't be slowed in iPhone. Your best bet is photoshop I guess.

5. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

The big difference between Hyperlapse and the baked in Time Lapse is the missing frames.

Hyperlapse edits the original video (performing the time lapse stuff and image stabilization) and then outputs a new video - video shot while in the hyperlapse app.

Time Lapse actually throws out frames it doesn't need, using an algorithm to determine the eventual frame rate.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphone-time-lapse/

6. BBDDVV macrumors newbie

using iMovie (on iPhone) you can slow down an existing time lapse video:

just create a new movie, import the time lapse video, tab the video and select the second icon at the bottom to change the speed controls. You can change the speed slider to slow it down to 1/8th and speed it up max 2x the original speed :cool:

7. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

This worked - thanks! The decreased FPS definitely makes it hard to watch, though!