Is there a way to store just tv-shows and videos from iTunes on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itsallinurhead, Jul 2, 2007.

1. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Tv-shows and videos take up a lot of space and I want them stored outside of my MBP. Is this possible?

:confused:

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yeah, you can. Just move them over, and then shortcut (make Alias) to the folder where you have stored them back to the TV Shows folder in iTunes.

Brian

3. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I couldn't seem to get this work?

4. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

This would be really helpful for me too! my podcasts are around 8gb! i need space.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, iTunes doesn't seem to follow aliases.

You can add pre-existing TV Shows from a different location by dragging into iTunes while pressing the Option key - it'll reference the original file. But this doesn't work for new shows or at all for podcasts. It'll create a folder for each of the TV shows or Podcasts at the artist level when downloading a new one.

I gave up trying this for individual items and just moved my whole iTunes Music folder onto an external drive and created an alias to it.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

TO OP: which Mac do you own Intel or PPC version ?

because if intel then this will work for you :

http://www.moonlightmac.com/Projects.html (Dvd Assist) then you make alias each file to the new drive .. more info on the site..

I'm using the software and i love it .. :D:D

7. Hargar macrumors newbie

iTunes does not like Aliases created in the finder. Seems to work fine with Symbolic Links in my experience. Have been doing this this v.6x, has been stable.

Read a primer on Symboloc links at:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643