Is there a way to stream music from 1 mac to another over the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snipersix, Apr 13, 2012.

1. snipersix macrumors member

Im looking for a piece of software that will enable me to stream my music library stored on my mac mini at home to my laptop computer when Im at the office, which is y i specified over the Internet.

I used to use this software called SimplifyMedia before, however it got shutdown and was bought by google.

So now I am looking for an alternative solution. Any suggestions?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'd recommend ShareTool by Yazsoft. It will allow you to access your shared iTunes library, as well as printers, files, iPhoto, etc etc. It's not a service; it's a piece of software you purchase (probably 2 licenses but I'm not sure). Great support.

Rob

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Google Music? It's not streaming per se, but you get 25,000 song uploads for free, although I'm not sure how many songs you have.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

The easiest thing to do is just pay for iTunes Match and stream it from the cloud.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Let me see. Maybe Apple is offering something that would help you? But that can't be. If Apple offered let's say some software that let's you upload all your music onto some server in the cloud, and then let you play that music from any PC running iTunes, or on any iPad or iPhone, surely that would have been reported everywhere and everyone would know about it?

Well, if Apple did that, then probably they would choose some totally forgettable name like "iTunes Match" that nobody would remember. So sorry, there is nothing here to help you.

6. Vorsos macrumors newbie

Vorsos

Not everyone keeps up with their latest announcements. How many people never knew about QTVR, or Rendezvous/Bonjour?

7. TannerH macrumors regular

8. snipersix thread starter macrumors member

im talking about streaming music from outside your home network.

ie. MediaCenter at Home --Stream Music to ---> Laptop at the office. (Able to map media files to itunes over the network.

This is what i used to do with SimplifyMedia

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

It's just a connectivity issue. ShareTool (or it's equivalent) connects your Macs so that they appear as if on the local network. So all the Bonjour services show up: iTunes and iPhoto home sharing, home printers, BusyCal, EyeTV, screen and file sharing, etc etc. Way more useful than just iTunes Match. And secure.

Or ooTunes, although it also is limited to music.