is there a way to surf the web without irrelevant results adv and tracking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lasloduncan, Nov 22, 2015.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

in other words-the commercialization, tracking, unnecessary snooping, non relevant search results, adv's on and on- have worn me down to the point of considering going to the very private search results methods --that I am certain have some legal type and unknown to me, risks,- associated with them-
    The key word here "unknown" to me. So, wary of doing it without some "expert" advice from members. thank you very much-

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

Switch to DuckDuckGo for your search engine, start using ad/content blockers and use them to limit tracking, opt-out of any tracking you're into by default (Google, Facebook).

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Pretty much what everyone said above especially Ghostery. Also you can look into TOR....

5. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks all i noted there were no suggestions for disabling javascript?- I am confused if that is an option or not?

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Because Ghostery and similar tools will prevent that from running. I actually use something called UBlock Origin and it's quite nice and much more customization than most other ad blocking software. I felt Ghostery would slow down my computer even if I was using a 64 Bit browser and have 64 GB of RAM.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Ghostery doesn't disable Javascript globally, heck, 98% of the sites you surf would be non-operable without JS. It does prevent very specific tracking Javascript from running, some of which is injected dynamically from ad engines.