Is there a way to sync pictures from an Android device to iCloud Photo Stream?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by saintforlife, Oct 21, 2013.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Most of my family uses iPhones and iPads and we use the iCloud photo sharing feature to share pictures.

However, I want to make a switch permanently to a Nexus phone and was wondering if there an easy way to sync pictures that you take on your Android device with your iCloud photo stream automatically?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No.

Sadly. You could do it by dropbox if your looking for cross platform compatibility, but no not photostream.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There is no way to sync photos directly into your Photostream from an Android device but if you're OK using Dropbox as an intermediary, yes, you can sync your photos into your Photostream--it's how I do it. Also note, I'm using a Mac and keep my library in iPhoto.

Setup Dropbox if you haven't done so already and turn on the photo upload feature. You can designate Wifi Only uploads or via any network connection (I'd only recommend if you have a high monthly data allowance or don't take too many photos).

Using Automator on my Mac (natively part of OS X, no download required, can find it in your Applications) you set up an automated script that will move any new photos in your Camera Upload folder in Dropbox to your iPhoto library. This article will walk you through the entire initial setup--very simple, will take just a minute. Once complete, anytime you have new photos, they'll automatically be uploaded to your library and part of your Photostream.

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Would Flickr be of interest at all too?

Cross platform & 1tb storage free.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

does flickr even have auto upload?

6. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Excellent post. Thank you. :)

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It doesn't look like it does on Android but does on iOS.

[​IMG]

Oh Yahoo, Y NO FEATURE PARITY? Hopefully it'll come to the Android side soon.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would use it if they had it for Android. Can't go wrong with 1tb free storage.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Anytime, glad to offer something useful every once in a while. ;)

10. Razeus macrumors 601

Yes. It's called Dropbox.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Don't make a habit of it :p :)