Is there a way to TAKE A PICTURE of a movie playing and save is it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Jan 14, 2011.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

Is there a way to take a picture/screen shot of a movie that is a playing and save it as a jpg o another piciture file with MBP?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

It made a "snap" sound. Like it took the picture. But how do i save it now ? No window popped up or anything...

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Saves it to the desktop by default. Also if you do command + shift + 4 instead you get a tool to choose which part you want to crop out. Give it a try!:apple:

5. outphase macrumors 65816

If you use VLC, there's a built-in keyboard shortcut for it as well: Cmd+Alt+S

6. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I can't get it to work for some reason. I found the picture on my desktop. But it isn't the picture of the movie. The first time it took a picture of my desktop as a whole. When I did it a few more times it took pictures of something resembling a gray/white checkerboard. I also did command+shift+4 and cropped it out but still didn't get the picture from the movie. what am i doing wrong?

7. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried VLC (VLC > Video >> Snapshot - Option/Alt+Cmd+S) or Movist (Movist > Movie >> Save Current Image - Cmd+I) yet?

Or you could try Cmd+Shift+4 and then press the Spacebar and click on the window with the video. The file on the desktop should be named like this:
    "Screen shot 2011-01-10 at 11.40.33 PM.png".

Also: http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've never screenshot a movie on my Mac but when I did it on my windows computer often times it wouldnt register...I'm not sure if its a security thing or a video card thing or just the fact that they dont want you do it. I've done it with youtube videos though.

9. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member