Is there a way to tell if phone is "Unlocked"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theslaz, Feb 10, 2011.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Have a Iphone 4 purchased last November. OS 4.1. Jailbroke it yesterday no problem; also tried an "unlock". Process said it was complete. Is there anyway to determine if it is in fact unlocked?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Look at the modem firmware of the phone to see if it is 01.59. Then look to see if Cydia is there, then go into Cydia and see if ultrasn0w is installed.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it was on official 4.1 before you JB then it cannot be unlocked and probably your unlock didnt work.
    Like said above go to settings/general/about and if your modem firmware is not 01.59 then you're SOL for now.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Me thinks it probably is not unlocked. The modem firmware is at 02.10.04; and Ultrasn0w is installed.
    Like you said; I think I'm SOL for now!

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Indeed you are. But you are in Canada, can you perhaps try to call the Carrier and see if they will factory unlock it? Unless of course you bought the phone from the US...

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I just listened to a news bulletin last week that mentioned; that my carrier "Telus" was offering to unlock all their phones except for the Iphone. They mentioned that they maybe would be able to do that in about 6 months as it wasn't possible at this time!
    I really don't need my phone unlocked at this time. It's one of those need to do things; just because I can! Only in this case; I can't!!!