Is there a way to tell if TRIM is working on an Apple SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miamirulz29, Jun 29, 2011.

1. miamirulz29 macrumors member

When I check the system profiler, it says that TRIM is enabled on my mac, but is there a way to check if the OS is actually sending the TRIM command to the SSD? I ask this because I recently copy and pasted some very large files (2GB+), and deleted some other large files. I want to know if TRIM worked in this case.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

3. miamirulz29 thread starter macrumors member

I am not being skeptical, I just feel that every OS should have a way to show that TRIM is working, not just say that TRIM is supported because the TRIM command can sometimes fail.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If you have the stock Apple SSD, then it's a no brainer. TRIM is supported and it is on. I believe there have already been a number of people online who have ran tests against the setup to make sure that performance degradation doesn't happen over time or over many writes and rewrites.

If system profiler is lying, there would certainly be a huge backlash on here and on all the tech blogs.

5. miamirulz29 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I just wanted some confirmation.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just bought my macbook pro and dropped in an intel ssd.. I noticed under trim support it saids no, is there a way to activate it with the intel x25-m g2?

7. miamirulz29 thread starter macrumors member

There is a trim enabler, but it has been unstable in many cases.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You should be a little careful before making blanket statements.

While the TRIM enabler program has been sketch with either OWC or OCZ drives (and I think Intel 510s), the poster has an Intel X25, which has gotten along very well with the TRIM enabler program.

9. miamirulz29, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

miamirulz29 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, you are correct. The trim enabler program causes problems for the newer SSDs. You can get more info from this thread.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Samsung 470 SSD

I have a 64 GB Samsung SSD in my 2011 MBP and the trim enabler works fine.